doing away with the big chain stores...

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
From reading the posts about spending more than what one intended to spend at WalMart, listen up ya'll. There is a reason that nice retired smiling man/lady shoves a shopping cart in your hands--SO YOU WILL FILL IT UP!! :lol: The tried and true method to not go overboard on impulse purchases is NOT TO TAKE THE DURNED CART! Throw your hands in the air and scream NO! NO! NO! GET THAT THING AWAY FROM ME!!!! Then smile sweetly and go get what you went in there for. When your arms are full, then you have to leave. :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I take the cart just so I have something to lean on in case I get a vertigo attack, or if my leg is bothering me. I can go in w/an empty cart, and go back out w/the cart still empty. It's all a matter of knowing your limits.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
I take the cart just so I have something to lean on in case I get a vertigo attack, or if my leg is bothering me. I can go in w/an empty cart, and go back out w/the cart still empty. It's all a matter of knowing your limits.
My grandmother always wanted a cart to steady herself on. I haven't got there yet.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If I didn't have L4, L5 nerve irritation, and a Baker's cyst on my leg, I wouldn't need it for that, either. But, at least I very rarely need to get the electric cart now, which is good. They go so slow I feel like jumping off and pushing the dumb thing.

Veggie PAK

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think Walmark used psychologists/psychiatrists to actually develop the layout of the stores. Have you noticed that the regular things that you need are at opposite corners/sides of the stores? That's so you have to walk past all the "sales" signs as they suck the dollars right out of your wallet. The longer you stay the more you buy.

Monsanto and Walmart. Two giants to fear. Monsanto will control the seed, and Walmart, the retail food. I watched a documentary/news clip that said within 8 years, Walmart would be the only grocery store chain to survive in America. All the others would have been forced out.

You know, if people don't like Walmart, they should make sure their City Council doesn't give them tax breaks to build stores. THAT'S where the problem starts! However, that is a mighty hard thing to do... influence city hall. Unless you ARE WalMart!

I still say that there are no provisions/authorizations for any City Council member to take our tax dollars and basically give them to Walmart. That's what is happening when they build and it's tax free for a period. All those improvements are being done on the backs of the taxpayers. It's not right!

People should watch "The WalMart DVD" about all their practices. They make the politicians look like fools to believe what they tell them. It's a real eye opener. Google it.

S

sunsaver

Monsanto and Walmart are both evil, but monsanto is pure evil !

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
You know, if people don't like Walmart, they should make sure their City Council doesn't give them tax breaks to build stores. THAT'S where the problem starts! However, that is a mighty hard thing to do... influence city hall. Unless you ARE WalMart!
My parents live in a small town, pop 12,000. They had two grocery stores, a Zellers (cdn owned department store, Canadian Tire. And three pharmacies. Every thing a small town could want or need.

And all those businesses were thriving.

Well, here comes Walmart. No one in town wanted it. petitions were signed. Shop keepers made a big stinking protest.

Next thing you know, Zellers was being torn down, and Walmart went up. All businesses are having a tough time competing. ALL businesses.

Walmart makes sure their prices are lower than the local grocery stores, their pharmacy fees are cheaper, and there is no lother department store in town.

The people of the town, at first resisted, but then started shopping there. Because lowest price does make a difference.

It is sad really, that Walmart moves into a town where it is clearly not wanted, kowing that peole will not be able to boycott them.

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My husband and I have not set foot in a WalMart in over 3 years. We hate their politics, their policies, their union affiliations, among other things. Thankfully we have other shopping alternatives in our town (so far, fingers crossed). Our county has a population of 332,000 and we have FIVE Super WalMarts!!!! :ep

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
My parents live in a small town, pop 12,000. They had two grocery stores, a Zellers (cdn owned department store, Canadian Tire. And three pharmacies. Every thing a small town could want or need.

And all those businesses were thriving.

Well, here comes Walmart. No one in town wanted it. petitions were signed. Shop keepers made a big stinking protest.

Next thing you know, Zellers was being torn down, and Walmart went up. All businesses are having a tough time competing. ALL businesses.

Walmart makes sure their prices are lower than the local grocery stores, their pharmacy fees are cheaper, and there is no lother department store in town.

The people of the town, at first resisted, but then started shopping there. Because lowest price does make a difference.

It is sad really, that Walmart moves into a town where it is clearly not wanted, kowing that peole will not be able to boycott them.
I can't speak for Ontario, but in most U.S. states, governments are so eager to extend corporate welfare that it's just disgusting. The movement to even attempt to stop such things has to be overwhelming to get any traction at all.