Double Dip Recession?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I've been expecting one. I was hoping I was wrong.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
we laughed the other day when the evening news said that "economists" were surprised at the new (higher) unemployment and worse spending.... they said they "didnt expect it."

um.....no surprise to those of us on the front lines!

then we laughed that those economists still have jobs and wont they be surprised when they get their pink slips and find out how bad it is.

harumph.

which bring me to my next point (i got up on the wrong side of the bed, btw)....

someone actually said to me that the folks who have been "suckin' up the unemployment for a year" where all just lazy and wanted to get the free money."

then she realized who she was talking to (my hubby has been off work for over a year).

just so's ya know - its not like its some kind of picnic and the only way we are making it is b/c we grow our own food and dont have any bills.

and another thing - people WANT to work. being unemployed was fun for my hubby about a month. (then he realized what hard work is when he became "my" employee).

the hard thing (being on this side) is hearing everyone who has a job complain about it. there's folks who would rip off their arm to have a job right now.

the folks who have a job are doing more with less people.... and more pressure to do more...and those of us standing around just want to be in their spot.

we were at the wal-mart (under duress i assure you) and the checker was complaining to the new gal who took over her register that the credit card machine was broken and how they were all evaluated on how fast they checked folks out -- but with the broken machine it took longer and they would get in trouble. now this was an older lady so i'm guessing she worked there because she had to and not because she wanted to wear that blue apron... she was so upset i finally said "well, honey, i'm glad you are helping me and i think you are doing a fine job."

she almost cried and told me that she really needed to hear that. a little kindness goes a long long way.

anyway. i think deep down we all expected the the econ news to get worse and i'm not sure who they are fooling.

so now i'm gonna go and check on my settin' hens and get more chicks hatched seein' as chickens are clearly going to be the new currency. and i guess ducks are going to be the next ducats?

anyway i'm still in a bad mood so them pigs had better not look sideways at me. if i dont find me some chocolate cake this bad mood is gonna turn murderous.

* turns around to dogs who are screwing around "either of you want a piece of me today?" dogs freeze and look away *

and that is all i have to say about that.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
i'm gonna go and check on my settin' hens and get more chicks hatched seein' as chickens are clearly going to be the new currency. and i guess ducks are going to be the next ducats?
Thinking about letting Lexi hatch another clutch now that you mention it. I just listed 2 of my ducks for sale. I still want more girls, but one I have is REALLY LOUD and I am tired of feeding that extra drake.

Good thing you have chocolate on hand or this day could go really bad for certain critters in Ohio! :gig

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
aint that right. my hubby took most of the cats and headed downstairs when i told him i needed a radius of at least 10 ft. he told them that i was "in a mood" and to stay out of "zone of danger."

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
aint that right. my hubby took most of the cats and headed downstairs when i told him i needed a radius of at least 10 ft. he told them that i was "in a mood" and to stay out of "zone of danger."
I was gonna tease you and tell you that I was baking a chocolate cake, but I'm not so sure that Mansfield is far enough out of the Danger Zone. :gig

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Smart hubby! :gig

When most of my customers are faxing/mailing off mortgage adjustment paperwork, unemployment forms, LEAP applications, foodstamp forms, or bankruptcy paperwork, you KNOW the ecomony isn't "better".

I also have a buddy that manages a bakery thrift store. Her customers are paying with pennies and complaining about prices or using food stamps. Apparently the recession isn't over in her neck of the woods either.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
SKR8PN - my reach is far and wide, friend.

yep WZ - and there are less and less folks eating out. we like to go to a local, family place after church and there are fewer and fewer people every week.

and another thing (while i'm ranting)

why is it that oil is down to $70-something a barrel and gas is still $2.79?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You all find the chocolate, I'll bring the coffee...shoot, that reminds me I need to get to Trader Joe's. For coffee AND chocolate :p
And yeah, what IS the deal with gas? We had to drive more in the last week than we have in the last year, and filling up sucks.
I'm wondering what's going to happen come January when taxes go up? (tax cuts expire, doesn't really matter how you say it does it?) The changes that are on our doorsteps could be devastating. :(

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Your gas is ONLY $2.79? Local Shell station is at $3.35, but we drive an hour for errands and buy it at the Safeway gas station where it was $3.14 over the weekend.

I'm sick of unemployment too. And COBRA payments.....