Double Dip Recession?

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do understand what u are saying but I didn't weed are garden once this yr we laid black plastic down and mulch heavy on top, not one weed :D But if the SHTF was to happen most of us wont have jobs to go to but we will have the skills to make it alittle better than those who don't

jynxthecat21

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The raised gardens work real well for me, where we live there are granite boulders the size of mini-vans about 6 inches under the surface in alot of places:lol: and the potato size ones get stuck between the tines on a tiller. My daughter and I are looking for some older logging harness for her Percheron so we can use him to log off the front 3 acres of our property but no luck so far, every one wants way too much for a dried up tangle of leather and chain they have had laying in the corner of the barn since Grandpa died:( So for now we have been using our,Found On Road Deads, to drag out what we can cut down.
So I guess for me and mine we just mickey mouse it till something better comes along;)

Marshmallow Man

Power Conserver
Reaction score
If the SHTF I won't have a roof over my head because I have a mortgage. Unless you are talking about a nuclear war or mass epidemic. In that case the sheriffs will have better things to do than evict people. If the bank is still in business I bet my eviction would take precedence over say investigating a rape. In other words, to really survive you need a clear mortgage. If I would have stayed in town my mortgage would be close to paid by now. This extra land which isn't being made anymore is expensive. The livestock that seems to come with it is what really takes it over the top and I can't figure out a way to get rid of it.

That's my problem I need to move to the Midwest or down south where the housing is half the price. Then I could afford to pay off a mortgage. Unfortunately I love Colo so and it is where my job is. Switching jobs is out of the question. Once you hit 50 and have 20 years or more of experience, you are paid more than other people doing the same work that are younger. A lot of times employers don't want to hire someone that they have to pay that much and if they pay you less they figure you wont be happy. So they hire the younger guy. Besides if you have a good job with benefits in this recession you are wise to keep it. I will be close to retirement by the time the country has totally restructured it's work force and this recession is over.

I am thinking about buying an old school bus that we could live in if the SHTF. I have a trailer. We could make it in to a raised garden and take it with us.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Marshmallow Man said:
If the SHTF I won't have a roof over my head because I have a mortgage. Unless you are talking about a nuclear war or mass epidemic.
I have a trailer. We could make it in to a raised garden and take it with us.
When we were working all the time I focused on learning and how to do food storage. How to garden, how to to this and that. Now I am trying to put into action what I have learned.

Seems you already have land...that is good... but the mortage is an issue..

You could always downsize. Find 4 or 5 acres with a house or mobile home you can pay for when you sell what you have.

Of course selling what you have is a problem these days.

You could also subdivide the property you have and sell half or quarter and that can help pay off stuff. If you threw 25 or 40 thou at your mortage from the sale of a couple of acres how would things look then for payoff? Would it shorten the years? Or sell the part with the house and get a mobile for the other part? People do learn to become mostly self sufficient with just a few acres and smaller less house seems to be real popular on this forum, SS types tend to like it.

I'm glad for you that the weight loss thing is working out!
I hope you can maintain your nutrient intake and I would think that supplements would be a good idea. Such low volume of food does reduce the amounts of nutrients available so watch out for that.
Get B levels, D3 levels and protien levels checked. Magnesium is important too but there is no meaningful test for it you just got to take it (300mg mag. citrate daily) along with iodine supplmentation. High powered small volume food supplements may be inorder.. They are all low carb, calorie for the most part

Marshmallow Man

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well you're right about selling the house. We've had quite a few foreclosures and it has dropped values a lot. In other words we're upside down. We are on 8 acres and they won't let you go lower than that with our zoning. We are in a walk out ranch and we could divide the basement in half and make a nice 700sf 2 bdrm apt. It would get about 1000 a month. It would be ideal for someone that would like to keep their horse where they live but can't afford a house. They could also help out with the garden if they wanted a share of the veggies. We have been seriously kicking that idea around. That would cover about 40% of the mortgage and if we put it all towards the mortgage it would take about 15 years off. Would have to do some real good screening. I figure I could add a kitchen downstairs for around 3000.

I sure do hope houses come back up. It makes me sick seeing people getting in to land and houses similar to mine for 100k less than what I paid. Wish I was in a position to take advantage of the housing slump. Figures that I bought at just about the crest of the wave. Certainly not alone though.

As for the food intake. I eat mostly low fat proteins. what fat I do eat is non saturated. They have a whole line of supplements made just for the diet. They do test every 3 months to be sure you're not under on any essential vitamins. the diet last for about 1 year and then you start eating a regular 2000 or so calorie diet along with exercise and hopefully a better choice of foods. Part of the diet includes cutting off about 3 ft of intestine where it exits the stomach before reattaching to your pouch. If you eat more than 3 grams of refined sugar it can make you sick. Same goes for hi fat. It takes up to 8 months for your body to adjust to sugar and hi fats. By then most people have lost the taste for them.They keep a close eye on everything to be sure you are not adversely affected.

At least I'm saving a lot on food. Clothes are a lot cheaper now. It's amazing how much they charge for outsize clothes. Usually right around double. Dockers are 55.00 a pair and rarely go on sale. Briefs are 2 for 16.00. Cheap dress shirts are 32.00

MissJames

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
We thought we would be able to sell the house I recently inherited and pay off our own mortgage, with money left over for the retirement fund.
Now it's no longer worth nearly as much , even if we could find someone to buy it !
My parents have not been able to live there for some time. The current renters wanted to buy it originally,but can no longer afford to do so.
My husband is a homebuilder ,and no one is building.
I always felt very secure about our future, but now we are both worried.
The thought of losing a home we built on 8 acres is quite depressing,but we would still have my parents house to live in,if necessary. I should be relieved and grateful,but at our own home we are able to be self sufficient.
Except,as you say,for that mortgage : (

MsPony

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ohiofarmgirl said:
SKR8PN - my reach is far and wide, friend.

yep WZ - and there are less and less folks eating out. we like to go to a local, family place after church and there are fewer and fewer people every week.

and another thing (while i'm ranting)

why is it that oil is down to $70-something a barrel and gas is still $2.79?
I'm paying 3.09, on a cheap day, if in cash!!

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Didn't have time to catch up, but I will say that the recession is NOT over. My boyfriend graduated with a hard science double bachelor's degree (zoology and chemistry) and tons of field experience, and after months of searching, just got a job as a line cook at a restaurant. Worth the 5 years of school, huh? I can't even imagine what the kids graduating from high school are doing if they don't want to/can't go to college!

Marshmallow Man

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
Didn't have time to catch up, but I will say that the recession is NOT over. My boyfriend graduated with a hard science double bachelor's degree (zoology and chemistry) and tons of field experience, and after months of searching, just got a job as a line cook at a restaurant. Worth the 5 years of school, huh? I can't even imagine what the kids graduating from high school are doing if they don't want to/can't go to college!
I have a friend who is an astronomer. Has a bachelors degree. Got laid off in 2006 and hasn't gotten anything better than Target since then.

My daughter just graduated with a bachelor in Journalism. She is working for Scripps Howard at around 30k total compensation. My son is a sophomore at CU and is going for an Engineering degree. I keep telling him he needs to get an internship with a defense contractor or something to do with national security. They can't outsource those jobs because of security considerations.

That's the big concern now. You need a job that can't be outsourced. The corporations are doing their job when they outsource. The government is failing in their job when they let the corporations make all their stuff in other countries and don't charge tariffs to let this country compete. In addition to that the corporations base themselves out of the country and don't pay taxes. The only way to fight it is to make yourself outsource proof and to buy American whenever you can.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Worse IS yet to come.....sure, who can't see it....lol

when all those unemployment person's money runs out the amt. of foreclosures and repos etc are going to increase

nosedive again

I see it coming
I am being cautious
but I also don't let it take over my life
it sure is a crapshoot but with a little SS planning u can always make it thru hard times, many people have! :)

I am truck hunting right now
GOOD LORD the prices are not low at all on diesels etc
I need a big truck for hauling so I am in sticker shock
I said why the high prices, ya'll be dying to give these away, well the man said the truck companies aren't making as many trucks each year and it KEEPS the prices up....yup I can see that happening UGH

Latest posts