Drilling Concrete

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes, I could go to the big box hardware and ask this... but why waste the gas when I can get info here?

I bought a handicap lift for my mom to go next to their pool. The pool has a concrete sidewalk around it so in order to put the lift in I need to drill a 3" hole in the sidewalk. Or would it be easier to frame and pour a new concrete slab around the anchor? Is there even a drill bit that will make a 3" hole in concrete, at least one I can have access to?

lighthawk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Sure Al. You can buy hole saws for that specific application but if you only need to drill one hole you might better look into renting one. They may still require you to buy the bit (they don't last forever) but it would be cheaper than buying the entire saw or pouring a new slab. PS depending on how thick the slab is you may also need a bit extension to get through it.
Good luck. Rich

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
If the unit mounts on theconcrete, you should be able to drill 1/4"or 3/8" holes in the concrete fairly easily using a hammer drill and then put bolts in those anchors. I don't understand why you would need a 3 " hole for. ??

But.... If you do need a 3" hole, you could get a core drill from a rental place and that should do the deed.

:)

AL

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks
I am tool-stupid but I am trying to learn LOL
My dad is using a hammer drill hooked up to his air compressor - at this rate we might have the hole by spring :p

The installation requires the lift to be anchored 6" in concrete, and the pole is 3" around. I offered to go rent or buy something, but my dad has his shade umbrella set up so he is there for the long run. :rolleyes: If he gives up I'll take these into consideration ;)
Thanks for the input!

Latest posts