Drug Shortages

country freedom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What about alternatives for Thyroid Medication?
I personally can't afford the more natural pig's....so I have to take generic Levothyroxin.
Would this be one of those medications that are hard to come by in in case of an end to the world as we know it scenario?

Damummis

Microfarmer
Reaction score
Pirtykitty said:
Is eczema the simular to proasis ( sp).. I have been going round and round with it since I turned 30.. I'm 54 now.. My mom had it and at least 3 of my 4 sisters have it.. I know its heriditary..
I sure hope my two boys don't get in later..
I'd love to learn some home remedies for it..
No eczema is different than psoriasis. I find with mine it is triggered by stress, chemicals and fragrances. Since I have been using my homemade goat milk soap, limited all fake smelly stuff, not naturally derived and changed eating habits things have improved. The stress part is harder to get under control, but once I stopped talking to my immediate family thing have chilled out.

There are a lot of good natural suggestions online for skin issues. My skin is always better after a good internal cleanse.

Sorry to hijack the thread.....

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I am a pharmacist, and I have to say, health care in this country is seriously awful! And drug companies have been merging faster and faster- we joke that pretty soon there will be one drug company in the US, one in India, one in Scandinavia and one somewhere in the EU. Maybe one in Japan. As the companies merge, they will drop the less profitable medications, or eliminate competing meds and raise the price of the ONE left. (we recently had to buy colchicine- been generic for a dogs age. Only one company is left who makes it and it has gone up to $150 a bottle!)

I also worry about the thyroid medication thing- my SO is on synthroid (brand- the generic levothyroxine doesn't work quite right for her). I told her if TSHTF I would dissect out the thyroid gland of whatever animals we used for food and dehydrate it for her. She was not amused.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I told her if TSHTF I would dissect out the thyroid gland of whatever animals we used for food and dehydrate it for her. She was not amused.
Maybe she was not amused, but is this possible? How would I locate the thyroid gland?

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
I told her if TSHTF I would dissect out the thyroid gland of whatever animals we used for food and dehydrate it for her. She was not amused.
Maybe she was not amused, but is this possible? How would I locate the thyroid gland?
go for the neck, the anatomy looks like a "butterfly", in the lower front portion of the neck, having a good anatomy book would help you out if it really came to this. whats good about the synthroids are that they are PO, meaning u can swallow the pill, so that theoretically the gland material in the thyroids could theoretically be swallowed and give the tyroid supplements, it would be nasty to think about it, but the phamaceuticals mainly came from nature, just chemically man made. im not sure how much an animals thyroids would be different than a humans, im sure mammals would have similar chemical structures, the pig would probably be ur best bet, because the genetics of a pig are very very close to a humans genetics.(also heparin(an anticoagulant ) is dervied from there intestine walls yuck lol)
now for the diabetics, how would u get the the insulin in? i can only think by cutting a hole in subcutaneous fat and rubbing a pancreas to get some of the insulin in the blood stream. what do you guys think? im guessing it could be possible to blend a pigs pancrease and put that into an insulin shot? but a LETHAL DOSE and reaction could come about without a standardized way of doing this!!!!!!!! maybe even spinning the pancreatic pig mess into the serum layers could reduce the reactions from blood mixing????

the psychotropic meds, and anti seizure would be another avenue. i can think about the poppies, pots, and st johnsworth as having some psychotropic attributes...... lithium salts as well..
BUT DOSING COULD BE DANGEROUS FOR AILMENTS..