Dry Canning

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think a few months at most is the best I could do and that would take a lot of effort on my part. I think reasonably you should keep a few months rotating them every time you shop and using the oldest stock.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm laughing because I think MOST people can figure out how to grow food within 25 years. just sayin' .... we are talking SHTF, not living on Mars, right?
Most people have no clue how to grow food. Believe it or not, I know a man whose 25 year stockpile actually is out of date and they are eating it now, and bought more, fresh freeze dried food.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Do you mean the 25 yrs date????

Geesh, luckily no issues have occurred for a while...25 yrs anyway. :rolleyes:

MoonShadows

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
prepper-cartoon.jpg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Cute comic, MoonShadows.

Most people have no clue how to grow food

You know, there are so many who really don't even think, want or try to grow anything. Shame that their kids will be some who are amazed that milk comes from a COW not WalMart. In my current location, not really the case as we do have a LOT of backyard gardens in the neighborhood areas. Often small but the most liked & easy to grow things. Those people may freeze some but, many are not into heavy canning, etc. The perimeter areas have residents with serious gardens!! Then, only 50 miles out, almost entirely reidentual areas -- back to multi unit complexes, etc. I have watched many farms sell out to developers over the last 50 years.

I have seen a good amount of a return to more natural food in the last 15 years with some "groups" that form a club like contingent of urban farmers. They have some sharing & bartering of "natural" food, soaps, milks, seeds, clothes, where to shop, etc. It's a good thing. There are also a few well utilized stores that sell such items exclusively. Both health & the economy seem to play a part in all of it. Canning is expensive to begin but once equipment assembled the reuse saves huge.

Just my thoughts.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It does cost money (usually) to begin to preserve food. I think the cheapest would be to put food between window screens or in a car to dehydrate. My electric dehydrator was a cheap Walmart appliance but it has worked great. The initial cost was around $30 and then the cost to run it for 8+ hours but without anything more than putting the end product in a plastic bag or glass jar I am using product that is 2 years old and it still taste great. The nutritional value maybe less but it is perfectly edible. I am starting to can a few things as I get jars but so far limited to boiling water bath method so no meat or low acid foods. I do plan on investing in a canner (or two), along with about a dozen cases of jars when we get our tax refund back. Last year it was a freezer. I may order a few more trays to go with my dehydrator, although I was hoping to get some of these at yard sales, resale shops, Craig's list, etc. I want to try some of MoonShadows dry canning of beans, rice and maybe some of my own dehydrated veggies. This next summer I hope to have a few more home grown vegetables as my garden should be better next year. My children do help me in the garden a little and I like to explain things as we are working to give them ideas for the future. I also have them help me when I preparing food to dehydrate, freeze or canning. Someday they will remember if necessary I'm sure.

SustainableAg

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Fascinating! That seems to make more sense as far as portion size is concerned. Mylar bags are great for large quantities, but having them portioned into more easily usable and accessible jars seems economical. Now I feel the need to buy a Foodsaver!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've heard that people often lose the vacuum after a few months on the food saver. I've never tried one personally. Big Family Homestead shows how to seal jars with a brake bleeder attachment (found in auto parts) but then again you might just want something sealed a short time. I just put 3+ pumpkins in a half gallon size canning jar. I may or may not try to use some oxygen absorbers. If I ever go that direction I would use much smaller jars though.