Duck Dynasty

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm apparently so far behind...lol! I barely know what a kardashian is(never seen that show either only news clips that I mostly ignore)...and have no idea about a hutterite... :hu I guess ignorance is bliss though when it comes to some things ;)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't remember it being as religious as claimed here. Yes some go to church and are active in their church but I have no ideal which church. The old man hand made great duck calls but seems to be 'past it' now Mama seems to be very normal still cooks and seems to be good at Southern cooking. One Son [oldest?] mass marketed the calls and got the rest of the extended family as employees. He is acting like new money often acts and trying to put his redneck days behind him. The rest of the family remain rednecks ones with jobs and incomes that they know they won't lose unless the family business goes under so they do all kinds of wacky things[I suspect they are encouraged by the TV people to act up to keep the show interesting] BTW I have checked my local gun shopand they carry both the Dick Commander and the Buck Commander as high priced hand made calls so it appears at least part of the story is real. I have strong doubts about the rest of the story line and suspect the TV people are stirring the rest of the pot. No bunch of dim wits could come up with the stuff in the show.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree that it's funny, though I don't watch it often. Of course they don't show the boring day-to-day stuff where the people actually sit down and MAKE DUCK CALLS. They must do that sometimes - stores are full of them, and in some shots the Duck Dynasty warehouse has boxes and boxes of them. But they don't show that. They show the times when the "boss" is away and the "employees" decide to flood the loading dock so they can make a lake and test whether the newest version of duck call really lures ducks in. Or they show the time one "employee" decides he wants an office, but there isn't one for him, so he builds a lean-to on the side of the main building - and the "boss" hauls it off with a backhoe as soon as he leaves, and turns it into his mother's new goat shed.

Of course, everyone's family, so those "boss" and "employee" designations are funny in themselves. The "boss" is the boss because he's the one who goes to meetings and gets people to buy the duck calls. He built up the business. Everyone else wants to avoid those meetings, wear camo, and make duck calls when they have to - and goof around the rest of the time. I mean, even if you're the "boss", does that mean you get to tell your uncle what to do? The boss says yes, the uncle says I'll take you over my knee if you try it.

It's worth tuning in at least once. Hopefully you like it!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
It actually sounds like a redneck viva la bam rip off, and very juvenille. Maybe I'll just skip it. I prefer shows with substance. Not that this is a bad show or anything, but if I want to waste my time watching T.V. I like for it to at a minimum be educational or thought provoking. I might catch it one day when the kids are around since it's clean though, just to have something for them to watch besides cartoons :hu

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Makes me feel like I am hanging out with my friends from back home. It's the only reality type show I watch. DH doesn't get it but he is from up north. The stupid things they do actually do seem realistic!

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My Christmas present from my DH was to re-connect to Dish TV. We have about a thousand channels now, and still nothing to watch. It's all chasing bigfoot, or my big fat greek something, or off-road trucking tuna catchers, or the real housewives of Skankytown. Grrr! Even the science channel, Discovery and Nat Geo are being taken over by idiots. Thank God for the music channels.

Team Chaos

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
so lucky said:
off-road trucking tuna catchers
I think you're on to something there! :lol:

I have to ask all the Duck Dynasty watchers on this thread: was anyone else surprised to see that all the boys married "yuppie" (as Phil would say) women? I was really disappointed to see that they can't cook, can't sew, always complain about the outdoors, don't expect their kids to do chores etc.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Yep, I can't figure that out. And, the one lives where there's a HOA. Of course the neighbors are going to complain if he's burning leaves, or has chickens running around in his yard or he's butchering a deer. I did have to laugh though, when they were at the country club at night hunting bullfrogs.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Yep, I can't figure that out. And, the one lives where there's a HOA. Of course the neighbors are going to complain if he's burning leaves, or has chickens running around in his yard or he's butchering a deer. I did have to laugh though, when they were at the country club at night hunting bullfrogs.
Not if the rest of the homeownes are Good Ole Boys too That do the same things! Heck we have a walled community here that was built by and for Well Off yankees. Well the good old boys bought enough units to take over the HOA change the rules and run it to suit themselves. Chicken and dogs roam at will within the walls.