Duck with broken leg

Seven Hens Farm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Well, she went back to the vet last thursday and they x-rayed again and it was still broken, but starting to calcify (sp?) They said to keep her in the carrier for another week and bring her back. I have to say that I kind of like her hangin around. I bring her in the kitchen and talk to her while Im making dinner or whatever. LOL.
Just to clarify, she is being brought to my husbands work (at a university) where the vet tech department looks at her. She is helping the students learn. If we actually had to pay for a vet, she would have been culled.
So, she will go back on Thursday and we will see how it is healing. Does anyone know anything special to feed her to speed the healing?

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i know in humans they say drink milk and eat yogurt, dark leafy greens (particularly kale) and Broccoli to help bones heal and recover.
not sure about milk and yogurt for ducks (though they are omnivores so protein isnt aproblem) but no reason she cant have kale and broccoli :)

Seven Hens Farm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks Pink
I will give her some milk and yogurt. I think I still have some broccoli from the garden last year in the freezer. I will look in the store for kale.
If she doesnt heal, I dont think that at this point I will be able to eat her though. My husband will butcher and we will have to give the meat to someone else. Im a softy. :rolleyes:

Dawn419

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Seven Hens Farm said:
Just to clarify, she is being brought to my husbands work (at a university) where the vet tech department looks at her. She is helping the students learn.
Very nice! :thumbsup

Seven Hens Farm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hi Dawn
Yes, it works out very well. We have brought them in a couple of chickens that have died and they performed necropsies (sp?) on them to see what they died from. It proved very interesting!
We have brought them live chickens (the most well behaved ones!) to practice x-rays on too.