Duckling update~we're done at 2!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Hi gang! I've got two 12 hour or so old duckling out in my barn with their broody mama. I have no idea how to best provide them water! I've brooded ducks indoor before and had soda bottles with little holes cut out. I've been reading up over on BYC but everyone seems to say they can handle being in shallow water as soon as they're dry and out of the nest. I've got to do something soon here. I've got one who is in and out of the nest already. I'm going to have to feed them soon and I can't do that if they don't have water. Help!!

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Yes, they can get wet in shallow water right away. If you have a spare pie plate, that should work fine. You'll just have to change the water often.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It depends how messy they can get their location. They are safe in shallow water but they will make a BIG mess with the water and get it dirty! I used to take a gallon jug and cut holes in it just big enough for them to drink and put the jug in a pan to prevent water everywhere.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Thanks! Mess I can handle since they're out in the barn. When we brooded inside I must have done the hole in the jug thing to keep the mess down. But I never had any that were younger than a week. So I'm a little paranoid. They're so tiny!
ducklings.jpg
!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Oh, I like the paint roller tray idea and it's not a bad size for their little corner of the barn. Of course anything we have here is contaminated with years of paint....

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
When I gave my little baby ducklings water, I used the chick waterer at first (it has a deep well) for perhaps a week.

Then I went to using cool whip size and shape plastic containers with a deep V cut out for them to stick their bills in. They still spilled it and made a mess, but less. They tip the water bowl constantly so you need to find a way to prop it upright or use something really flat to set it upon and a non-tipping type bowl. If the top to their waterer is too big, they get all the way in. One poopy duckling swimming in the water and it looks pretty bad. So I tried to keep them out of it.

I did give them the opportunity to swim, but we had one person supervise a little swim with the flock while the other person cleaned the enclosure. So when they came back all wet and clean, their enclosure was dry and warm.

I will be very happy to let a mama duck do this next time.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
savingdogs said:
When I gave my little baby ducklings water, I used the chick waterer at first (it has a deep well) for perhaps a week.

Then I went to using cool whip size and shape plastic containers with a deep V cut out for them to stick their bills in. They still spilled it and made a mess, but less. They tip the water bowl constantly so you need to find a way to prop it upright or use something really flat to set it upon and a non-tipping type bowl. If the top to their waterer is too big, they get all the way in. One poopy duckling swimming in the water and it looks pretty bad. So I tried to keep them out of it.

I did give them the opportunity to swim, but we had one person supervise a little swim with the flock while the other person cleaned the enclosure. So when they came back all wet and clean, their enclosure was dry and warm.

I will be very happy to let a mama duck do this next time.
Yeah, I swore I'd never brood ducks again! I'm glad Edna is being such a good mommy. I remember using a big margarine tub like you did the cool whip. I wonder what I did with all the margarine?? :sick