Duckling update~we're done at 2!

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I just went and found pics of the original 4 ducklings, the 4 purebreds. The newly hatched ducklings definitely are the bluish gray of the Swedish and none of the brown of the Campbells. One is darker than the other and has a dark bill. The lighter one has a splotchy colored bill.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Well, with DH's help we got all the other eggs out of the nest. It's been a week since the ducklings hatched. We candled them all, there were 14 that didn't hatch. Some seemed to be infertile and we could see a yolk. Others were dark and scary, we think maybe filled with bacteria. 2 or 3 looked like they might have developed part way then died. We did not crack any open. I'm afraid we weren't brave enough....
I did put a paint tray of water in the enclosure and after about half an hour the ducklings found it. They splashed around then preened and hid under Edna. I took it back out for now but will try to give them swim time each day. I couldn't get any decent pictures. I think Edna thinks my camera strap is a snake or something. She hates the camera!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
LOL

I am dusting off my paint tray for the new babies. Right now their water is in a quiche pan. :gig

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Right now my ducks are using sleighs and it looks like brownie dough in the bottom everynight.......... :sick

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Good thing they're so cute. They sure do make a mess! Going down to tuck everyone in. Daisy the goat's new trick is to push her way through a weak spot in the fence she found today and follow me in to visit the ducklings. That's all I need, squished babies under goat hooves!! :barnie