Ducks.....

Cecilia's-life

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ducks are a HUGE pain in the ass. Make sure you have electricity to be able to run down to their coop/run for de-icers.
Certainly don't put water in their house! Oh god the ice.
Our ducks prefer straw and aspen bedding mix.
We feed mazuri waterfowl breeder because its really minimal waste, it floats! Its pricey but we only have 2 call ducks.

As much a pain as they are, they are the best. They have great personalities without being attached to you at the hip.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They are crazy quackers! It's funny to watch them. They play follow the leader. But on the drop of a dime the last in line becomes the leader and the rest followers.

I asked my wife again when we get to eat one? She said just one won't help with the feed. I said well let's put them all in the freezer then. She said You Will Not! 😂 I don't know what she sees in those Crazy Quackers, but I think they look delicious.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The problem with ducks in the cold is the water/ice issue.

Once it gets lower than about 10F, I would use only TINY pots. Deep enough for them to dunk their heads...but NO SPLASHING.

I have had ducks freeze their feet to the ice so that they could not move... they were stuck.

I know someone who's duck tried to bathe in the cold and got encased in ice.. full ice statue.

Anyway... it can get horrid... so...no bathing, but yes, must dunk their head. Tricky balance.

As to ventilation....LOTS.

Here is the duck coop that came with the property
20181029_123358.jpg

Other angle of the same coop. Note 3 sides are half wire.
hredirect2.jpeg-11.jpg

And the duck coop i made. Less ventilation, but still lots. The plastic front wall gives great warmth, blocks wind, and gives them lots of space.
Outside:
700-2.jpeg-2.jpg

Side wall with lots open for ventilation. There is more ventilation along the tops of all walls.
hredirect2.jpeg-9.jpg

And inside that coop
hredirect2.jpeg-10.jpg