Dug up our sweet 'tators today....................

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
yup. 1 slip = many taters

I planted some this year. Even though I planted a long season variety I still got enough for a couple meal's worth despite the climate issues. Next year I am buying a northern variety.

The sweet potato vines are very decorative so even if you don't get a good harvest you still get nice landscaping :D I grew mine along the driveway fence.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Wow! Nice sweet taters! The last couple of times that I tried growing them, they were so pitiful that we didn't even try this year. After seeing yours, I may have to give 'em a try again.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
We are still trying to figure out what sweet 'taters like as far as a growing medium and moisture.
I added some really old horse manure and a lot of sand to that raised bed, and we kept it fairly well watered. This growing season was hot and dry, so they had plenty of sunshine!!

Looks to me like they were pretty happy in there!! :D

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
A barrel should work. Mine were in an old little tykes toybox painted black for extra heat and some old feed bags filled with composted duck straw and a few holes poked in the bottom. Even though the taters were small, I was very happy. I can't wait to try again with something more suited to my growing zone.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Your Sweet 'taters will taste even better and keep longer if you 'cure' them before eating or storage. I lived in the North where they weren't raised as a crop and when I went to farmer markets down here I noteced that Some were Marked FRESH! I asked what was meant by that and I was told that it meant they hadn't been cured, that curing would improve both their taste and keeping properties. Here they are generally dug and left in the field to cure if the weather permits (Sunny dry weather) if not they were placed in a covered slat structure much like corn cribs in the north. I gather the cure process just allows them to lose excess moisture and concentrat the internal starches and sugars. Not being aware of the fine points of the process I suggest you look it up. but they are sure different than fresh 'taters'. ~gd

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
How deep was your raised bed?
Only about 2ft deep.......the sweet 'tators were in the bed with the lattice around the top. Had to keep the darn rabbits out of them!!

392968822.jpg

Latest posts