1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Plants that keep bugs away - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Duh... Rainwater ETA New Question!

Discussion in 'Resource Conservation - Water, Air, Earth, Etc.' started by Leta, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Nov 1, 2011
    Marianne

Marianne Super Self-Sufficient

Could you send them via email to me as well? I'll pm my email to you.

2. Nov 1, 2011
    ~gd

~gd Lovin' The Homestead

I used to live in western NY where most old farm houses had cellars and in those cellars there were tanks built of brick, stone. or even cement that were called cisterns. Buildings had gutters that delivered the roof runoff to the cisterns. Sure snow would build up on the roof but the roofs weren't as well insulated as they are today and eventually that snow melted. We had tons of snow and in the winter we had to keep an eye on the water level in the cisterns so we could divert that water before the cellar flooded. That water was used for everything except cooking and drinking. Rainwater is very soft and it made wonderful bath or laundry water. So unless you live where it never thaws you can harvest water from a roof, storage is the real problem.

3. Nov 2, 2011
    Leta

Leta Lovin' The Homestead

Thank you very much for this! We get so much snow here that a cistern filled with snow would be very easy.

4. Nov 19, 2011
    Leta

Leta Lovin' The Homestead

Okay, so DH and I have decided to put up gutters along the north side of our house. Our ridgeline runs east-west, and we get most of our wet weather from the north. Plus, we actually have room over there for some type of barrel/cistern. :lol:

As luck would have it, our laundry area is along that wall in the basement. So I was thinking, if we got one of those things that keeps livestock water warm (well, warm enough to keep from freezing) for the winter, and since there is a window and everything right there, we could just plumb it right into our washing machine and/or laundry sink. (Legend has it that my grandmother used to collect rainwater to wash her hair, because it's so soft. Maybe I'll end up washing my hair in the sink, heh.)

DH confirmed that he could handle the plumbing and installation of the water heating element, but he was uncertain about what sort of filtration process we would need. So if any of you all have any products or processes that you would suggest, I'd love to hear it.

5. Nov 19, 2011
    ChaneyLakegirl

ChaneyLakegirl Power Conserver

My great aunt always said to use rain water to wash hair too. She said it left her hair soft as well.

6. Nov 20, 2011
    AmericanHomesteader

AmericanHomesteader Lovin' The Homestead

Hi Leta would you please share with me info on hacking a fridge, im still working on that for off grid homestead, Thanks