1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Cranberries - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Duh... Rainwater ETA New Question!

Discussion in 'Resource Conservation - Water, Air, Earth, Etc.' started by Leta, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Oct 1, 2011
    Leta

Leta Lovin' The Homestead

This is very good to know, moolie. We have a simple roofline, so I think the vent will probably be enough. We are right in town, our neighbors on either side have many leaves, so we'd be cleaning gutters non-stop if we didn't put the guards up. I am going to discuss this with DH.

2. Oct 1, 2011
    Marianne

Marianne Super Self-Sufficient

Moolie, does that include composite shingles, too? One area that I was considering is next to the coop which we built a few years ago using new composite shingles.

3. Oct 1, 2011
    moolie

moolie Almost Self-Reliant

Not sure what composite shingles are?

All the houses around here either have wood shakes or asphalt/gravel shingles, a few people are starting to use metal shingles.

It's the asphalt/gravel shingles that won't give you potable water, untreated (no chemical preservatives) wood is ok but cedar is expensive so I think most people use pressure treated wood shakes. Flat roofs are tar and gravel and also won't make for potable water.

A metal roof would be ideal, but they cost the earth.

4. Oct 1, 2011
    i_am2bz

i_am2bz Lovin' The Homestead

Boogity, talk to Wifezilla. She's mentioned on occasion that she's not allowed to collect rainwater where she is.

(How can a natural element that falls out of the sky onto your roof belong to the state? Beats the he!! out of me. :rolleyes: )

5. Oct 26, 2011
    Ed Nigma

Ed Nigma Power Conserver

I'm not certain how to post this, but, I have written a pamphlet on rain water harvesting and would be more than happy to freely share this information with anyone interested. Also, having built a system, I would be happy to answer any questions you may have.

6. Oct 26, 2011
    Ed Nigma

Ed Nigma Power Conserver

This is a valid concern not only because the "MAN" considers rain water harvesting as interfering with the water shed, but, your NIMBY neighbors will complain about rain barrels. Many communities will allow rain barrels if they are out of sight, but, a 55 gal drum is hardly enough to water your garden. To get around these problems the system I built directs my down spouts directly in to 55 gal drums (sand filters, not collection barrels). The barrels than drain into a 5200 gal portable pool. Had to get a permit for the pool (cheap) and since the barrels are allowed no questions are asked about my cistern (pool).
    We use the water to swim in, water our vegetable garden and chickens. Personally I would want to distill the water before drinking it.
    Future plans are to build a small decorative silo (conveniently sized to house a 4'X20', 5500 gal tank) attached to my mini barn.

7. Oct 30, 2011
    baymule

baymule Sustainability Master

8. Oct 30, 2011
    Marianne

Marianne Super Self-Sufficient

I would LOVE to mess with ferrocement! I did tons of reading about it years ago, marvelous stuff.

Ed Nigma, do you have your pamplet online somewhere?

Moolie, I don't know how many years composite shingles have been around, maybe 30? They look like asphalt shingles.

9. Nov 1, 2011
    Ed Nigma

Ed Nigma Power Conserver

10. Nov 1, 2011
    Leta

Leta Lovin' The Homestead

He sent me the pamphlet via email. It is fantastic! Thanks, Ed.