Dumpster Diving

davaroo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
PostcardPigeon said:
I got addicted to college dumpster diving last year - people literally dump _brand new_ items. I found gift bags of candles, bath salts, lotions, and soaps. Stylish winter boots (the type that are really tall with little puff balls on the laces) and a box full of silver jewelry (with my size rings). An electric keyboard and stand. Bags and bags of clothes that freshman didn't want their "mummy and daddy" knowing they bought. A new lamp (several, in fact, but you have to pick and choose). Saw a leather chair at one point. Picked up one of at least 4 printer-scanners. PDAs and phones and docks for iPods.

It's insane.

I've decided I want to make some extra money that way in the future.
College dorms at end of semester. What a great idea! I wonder if the hired strong arms will toss me out - one way to find out.
I don't need to dumpster dive anymore - but I love it. I snag anything useful I can find. I use it, refurbish and re-purpose it or sell it on ebay.

Catalina

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I just found 300 beer bottles outside the recycling center dumpsters.

I have NO IDEA what to do with 300 beer bottles, but we'll see.

If all fails I can just return them!

HiDelight

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I used to dumpster dive until I found syringes in and around a dumpster I am not that hard core that was the end of that!

I have to stay however stationary stores have lots of cool stuff in the back after the first of the year anything that has a date on it is tossed!

jenlyn9483

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This thread makes me miss my soon to be FIL. When he retired right before he moved to the mountains he used to go dumpster diving for me all the time. He brought me so many wonderful things! Now he lives in the NC mountains. My DF hates when I bring home more stuff. Free lumber or building material equals weekend work in his eyes.