Dumpster Diving

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yes. And so the horses would know it wasn't for them. :D

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My 21 year old son is moving out this weekend.

He had his first dumpster diving experience today as he was searching for boxes. He found several boxes of unopened packages of votive candles.
He came home pretty stoked. Although he brought home over 90 new candles he did say that he felt embarrassed doing it... didn't want to be seen.

Now that he will be paying all his own bills perhaps he will remember the rewards of thinking out of the box.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Story about dumpster diving....
We were dropping our recyclables off to the bin when we saw a teenage girl down in the bin and the mom on the outside. I rolled down my window and asked "Did you get anything good?"
The mom replied "We think we threw an envelope in here with our bill money in it!"
I wished them luck.

So don't forget to check envelopes! There could be money in them!!

PostcardPigeon

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I got addicted to college dumpster diving last year - people literally dump _brand new_ items. I found gift bags of candles, bath salts, lotions, and soaps. Stylish winter boots (the type that are really tall with little puff balls on the laces) and a box full of silver jewelry (with my size rings). An electric keyboard and stand. Bags and bags of clothes that freshman didn't want their "mummy and daddy" knowing they bought. A new lamp (several, in fact, but you have to pick and choose). Saw a leather chair at one point. Picked up one of at least 4 printer-scanners. PDAs and phones and docks for iPods.

It's insane.

I've decided I want to make some extra money that way in the future.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
PostcardPigeon said:
I got addicted to college dumpster diving last year - people literally dump _brand new_ items. I found gift bags of candles, bath salts, lotions, and soaps. Stylish winter boots (the type that are really tall with little puff balls on the laces) and a box full of silver jewelry (with my size rings). An electric keyboard and stand. Bags and bags of clothes that freshman didn't want their "mummy and daddy" knowing they bought. A new lamp (several, in fact, but you have to pick and choose). Saw a leather chair at one point. Picked up one of at least 4 printer-scanners. PDAs and phones and docks for iPods.

It's insane.

I've decided I want to make some extra money that way in the future.
My Goodness, where do you go to college?!!

Welcome to Sufficient Self!! :D

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I read about a biz a couple of young guys started called College Hunks for Junk or some such name. They hired college guys to clean out folks' garages and such and they got to keep a lot of the cool stuff they cleaned out, some of it very valuable.

Seems like a college campus would be the ultimate place to dumpster dive!!!! Wish there were one real close and handy...... :/

Welcome to the community, PCP!!! :frow

Catalina

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
Story about dumpster diving....
We were dropping our recyclables off to the bin when we saw a teenage girl down in the bin and the mom on the outside. I rolled down my window and asked "Did you get anything good?"
The mom replied "We think we threw an envelope in here with our bill money in it!"
I wished them luck.

So don't forget to check envelopes! There could be money in them!!
Ha ha!
That sounds like the excuse I plan to use if anyone asks me why I'm taking glass wine bottles out of the recycling center dumpster - I was helping my grandma clean and accidently threw out a precious antique glass bottle!

Still looking for more blue glass wine bottles for my glass tiki torch project.

SimplyForties

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Okay, this is bad. Yesterday I was diving in my own dumpster! I had a big construction dumpster hauled out here to aid me in clearing the five outbuildings on this property, which are filled to the brim with trash. The sad part is that there is some good stuff in there but there is just so much of it I'm afraid the task of sorting it is almost more than I can reasonably do. I have been retaining some stuff but a lot of it, which I would probably hang on to in other circumstances, is going in the dumpster. Yesterday I caught myself pulling some things back out and thinking about uses or fixes for some other things. I'm never going to finish if I keep that up!

I need to have less stuff, not rearrange the stuff I have!

Latest posts