dun chicks self sufficient living journal

dun chick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I haven't started a journal in years, let alone online so please bear with me. I am trying to become as self sufficient as possible but certain things we must all have but anyways here iam.
I did not answer the monster questions but to tell you about myself. I am 48 year old happily married woman of almost 25 years. I have 3 daughters, one is autistic and I am a nurse at the local hospital. I started raising chickens about 2 years ago and have pure jersey giants, marans and ameracaunas. i would like to semi retire this year, dd needs me home more and would love to spend more time with my horses and chickens and just enjoying simple life.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:welcome
dun chick said:
I haven't started a journal in years, let alone online so please bear with me. I am trying to become as self sufficient as possible but certain things we must all have but anyways here iI'm starting to like this idea! I wanted to have an introductions section on BYC, but didn't know how to keep it different from the other areas. Having it be introductions / journals really seems like a good / fun idea.

I did not answer the monster questions but to tell you about myself. I am 48 year old happily married woman of almost 25 years. I have 3 daughters, one is autistic and I am a nurse at the local hospital. I started raising chickens about 2 years ago and have pure jersey giants, marans and ameracaunas. i would like to semi retire this year, dd needs me home more and would love to spend more time with my horses and chickens and just enjoying simple life.
Out of the 3 forums, (byc,teg,and ss...can't log into byh but enjoy reading everything) I find the answers to most of all my questions here. Everyone is laid back and happy and willing to help you out in any way. I love it here.

I too have horses and chickens and a daughter. Anyway, WELCOME!!!!

-Sally

I too have horses (edit: didn't I already say this? I'm loosing it! :p )

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
:welcome

I love new people.

Lots of info here and we are all at different levels of SS. Some of us are striving for more and some are comfortable where they are. So just beginning or at it forever makes no difference here.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Hello! Welcome to SS! I hope you jump right in!

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:welcome A lot of the SS stuff tends to be fun and experimental. Be sure to take the time to enjoy it. We are all learning here.

homesteadmomma

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hi and welcome! I have only been here about a month myself.

May I ask how old you autistic dd is? I have a 5 year old with Rett Syndrome and I quit my job last August to be home with her on a full-time basis. There are days I miss my job and the satisfication that came with it, nobody is quick to pat me on the back here at home, but I know I am where God wants me. Most days though I love being at home hanging with my chickens, goats, ducks and geese.

dun chick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
My daughter is 18, she is finished with school. She is considered to be mildly-mod retarded. She functions well, not well enough to be on her own and group homes well.. can't see putting my kate there. My oldest daughter is here with her while I and dh works, but I plan to cut back my hours to just 2 days a week in the fall. She just does better with me, she loves to garden, help me at the barn and really as a mom just think it's best that I am with my daughter, the other days she will be at a daycare center for autistic adults. I think if you can be a sahm for an autistic child that is the best, but financially we could never swing it. You may not get it recognized every day, but you do make a big differnce in your childs life. :love