dun chicks self sufficient living journal

dun chick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome. This journal will be a work in progress.
I've had chickens for about 2 years, we did have a predator last winter get into our coop and I lost 35 chickens. We had to start over. I started incubating, found a breeder with black jerseys and that's when the addiction started. I really love to hatch eggs, the chicks, well just everything about chickens. The jerseys are going on 9 weeks old, we hatched some marans, we also got some black sex links, lil ri reds, barred rocks for our layers. I have over 60 lil chicks. This is not counting the 30 eggs in the incubator of my ameracuanas and marans.
LAst year, I actually had a nice lil business from work,our local sportsmen club before the massacre. We had a waiting list for our farm fresh eggs, but I think I might have went a little bit overboard. We won't get no eggs til around fall, dh thinks I'm the crazy chicken lady and these lil buggers do eat alot. So girls grow and give me some eggs.

dun chick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The rains finally quit today. I really need to get the tomatoes in, so afraid of a frost. We had 40 degree nights still with the rainy days and hoping it warms up real soon. It's only suppose to hit 69 today, but at least the sun will be shining. The two foals we had this year are full of p* and vinegar this morning, they been cooped up for three days with their mamas and I think mamas are ready to cut them loose.

jfarms

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I think everyone is late getting garden out this year.. either its too cool or there is too much rain.. :)

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm in aggreeance (sp?) with JFarms. I've only got about 1/2 my garden in and that is because I make myself do a little every day rain or shine.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, dun! :) Another nurse! I don't know how many that makes now....... I are one too! :D Pull up a chair and rock awhile!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
dun chick said:
I haven't started a journal in years, let alone online so please bear with me. I am trying to become as self sufficient as possible but certain things we must all have but anyways here iam.
I did not answer the monster questions but to tell you about myself. I am 48 year old happily married woman of almost 25 years. I have 3 daughters, one is autistic and I am a nurse at the local hospital. I started raising chickens about 2 years ago and have pure jersey giants, marans and ameracaunas. i would like to semi retire this year, dd needs me home more and would love to spend more time with my horses and chickens and just enjoying simple life.
WELCOME dun chick

hope you get to semi retire soon and be home a bit more!!!!

being SS means less money is needed to survive this big bad world and in doing so, you might gain that time!!!

I cut my power bill from like $140/mo. to $75-80 just by changing all bulbs to CFL and not using the dryer or dishwasher----and by using power strips etc. It ain't a load of money but it means I have to work less to live good!

hope you enjoy the forum!!!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Adding my :welcome

I haven't been here long and I already feel at home dun chick.
I'm looking forward to my chick's first egg too! I've never raised chickens before, so its a learning experience. I never knew how fun it would be. Granted, I haven't gotten to the noisy rooster/grumpy broody hen/predator stage, but I love watching my ladies scratch around and having them come when I call. Too cool!

dun chick

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the welcomes! I went to a class at the community college. It was on soapmaking and it is something been thinking of doing for a long time. I used to make candles when I was in college for a small business company and soapmaking I have been reading a lot about. It provided extra cash and was alot of fun seeing what I could create.
Anywho, the class was being taught by a former amish woman and talks about basic and advanced soapmaking. We mostly discussed the different techniques and next week I need to bring my supplies for the basic soap. This could be alot of fun. Any soapmakers around?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
:welcome dun chick!

The only soap I make is laundry and dish! :gig But my dd makes some awesome soaps and really enjoys doing that. There are a number of soapers here on ss....

We have only one Jersey Black Giant hen, but really love that breed. Very calm temperaments and great around kids.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My :welcome added too!

I am a soaper! I have been doing it for about three years now.

:ep WARNING : soap making can be as addictive as CHICKENS are! :ep

I am a paraprofessional educator and I work with children with severe autism everyday.

They are great kids! I believe it is a blessing to be given a child with special needs. There are SO many gifts that they have to GIVE - God only trusts his "special" kids to very special people! :love

Latest posts