Dusting! Feather Dusters?

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
Anyone have any ideas on feather dusters? Either homemade or store bought? I was tempted to buy a swiffer magnetic duster this weekend, but thought I would see if the ss folks had any better ideas. I can use a damp rag for many things, but for time saving and convenience on things like mini-blinds, I'm looking for idea on what to use in place of the disposable dusters. Any ideas? What do you use?

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
I bought an emu feather duster once from a woman in Texas, who raised emus. It worked really well for dusting all the corners in the house. (The reason I bought it.) I haven't owned it in years, but as I recall, it was easy to clean, dried quickly and did a good job. Now I use old bath towels that have been cut into rags.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Some years ago I cleaned houses to get through school....a surprisingly profitable and flexible job if one is self-employed. I used a feather duster for lighter dusting and reaching and going around objects that I was not going to move. I used a piece of old cotton t-shirt with the lightest mist of water for dustier dusting, and something like Pledge only rarely if the homeowner requested it.

The problem was that the duster would reach a stage where it would leave more feathers behind than desirable. I usually didn't notice them until I went back one or two weeks later....oops! So they need to be replaced after a year or two, whether you use them a lot or not.

I really like the Swiffer dusters. I resisted buying it, thought it was gimmicky hype, but now I love it for the quick dusting. The t-shirt is still the way to really clean, though. IMHO.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a nice feather duster.
Real feathers from some critter???
LOL

but I like it and don't. It has a tendency to "push" dust around rather than attract and remove it. So I use it to get behind the tv and things like that but for my normal dusting, I use a very very very slightly damp rag. Works best for me.

I refuse to buy a swiffer or anything like that only because it is disposable wipes for it. I am not going to add to the landfill or have to buy disposable items...this is a new goal of mine. Granted I am trying hard, and a swiffer fits that category of disposable stuff.....so trying to get away from any type of items like that.

Plus for me, it is only dusting ya know..LOL...I don't have blinds. I have vertical blinds. I just take my damp rag and run it down the length to give it a good dustoff. Again, works easy for me.

Mini blinds? How often do you dust them? Couldn't you take off the whole contraption and rinse it and set it out to dry?
just wondering?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, I thought of that, but we have only used two refills in as many years....dusting is not a high priority for me! :lol: I mostly use the rag. Sometimes you need to do a lightening cleaning and a duster helps a lot.

I used to spray a fine mist in the air and wave my feather duster through it to get rid of static and help the feathers hold the dust. I would occasionally smack the duster firmly on the carpet (not white ones!) which would then be vacuumed.

You would think my house would be spotless, wouldn't you? :lol:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I've yet to EVER find a spotless house!
No one has one...LOL..especially us farmer types!

I can find a cobweb in anyone's home...you just have to look..HA HA HA

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
My mom uses one from lamb's wool that works wonderfully! Hmmmmmmmm.....could be a side line for my shed wool from my hair sheep! :)

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone.

We have 23 windows in the house lol :ep

I don't know if I would want to take all the mini blinds down and clean them unless I have to. In my experience even when I soak them, I still have to scrub them, and there's no smoking in the house, so it's not nicotine residue. Am I doing something wrong?

I'll have to check into the lambs wool and the emu. Now that you guys mention it, I'm not sure that I want to mess with worrying about the feathers falling out, and staying up on replacing them for that reason. Any way we can get chores done faster is a plus :thumbsup

Maybe a "magnetic" duster would be my best bet. Anyone have experience with those? Know if they work? How often you need to replace them? What's needed to maintain them?

I may just but the swiffer and give it a go. If I find myself having to replace them more than once or twice a year, then I think I will look for something else....still pondering....maybe get rid of the mini blinds :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Well, some modern conveniences just have to stay, at least in my house. I will NOT make re-usable toilet paper!!! :gig

prairiegirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I've never had good luck with the feather dusters.
I have certain rags that make for good dusting. Old flannel that is well worn and the thicker t-shirt knit. Not the thin t-shirt rags from my DH shirts. His are so worn and thin when I can finally sneak and cut it for rags that they really are only good for single use clean ups.

I do have a magnetic type duster with a long handle which works pretty good, especially for cob webs. I just vacuum it off when I'm done.

FarmerChick, you'll have to give me fair warning before you visit my house. I need the time to search out the cobwebs.LOL