Dutch oven recipe suggestions?

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just got my birthday present (quite late, but I don't care!) from my mom, and it is a le creuset dutch oven in flame color. I think I am in love just looking at it. What should I make using this wonder? Particularly focusing on vegetarian foods for the sake of the SO (and the budget). And even more importantly- what should the maiden cooking venture be?? :)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What about a vegetarian chili, or stew? Rice casserole. I love black bean soup in a dutch oven. Have fun, I love my cast iron.

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I 'm just about to use it. I decided to go with Lahey's no knead bread recipe for my first recipe, since it's what got me wanting one in the first place. I'll let you know how it goes. :) So far it's like pancake batter, but everything I've read says that's what it's supposed to be like! :)

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
ToLiveToLaugh said:
I 'm just about to use it. I decided to go with Lahey's no knead bread recipe for my first recipe, since it's what got me wanting one in the first place. I'll let you know how it goes. :) So far it's like pancake batter, but everything I've read says that's what it's supposed to be like! :)
TOO FUNNY I was going to suggest that but I thought you wanted a meal, I have a loaf in the oven now! I have 15 minutes left on the bake time, how did your loaf turn out?

*eta add photo of loaf
418_100_4396.jpg

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh my, that is beautiful bread!

And congrats on your dutch oven!

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It turned out great! The SO told me that it's the best bread he's ever had (he's a bread SNOB) and proceeded to eat 3/4 of the loaf BY HIMSELF while I was at work. When I told him I have a soursough starter going and could modify it to that, I thought he would wet himself. :p Good dang bread!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
That settles it - that's the first loaf I'm making once the cool weather hits. I can't bring myself to make bread when it's 90+ degress :p

ToLiveToLaugh

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Javamama said:
That settles it - that's the first loaf I'm making once the cool weather hits. I can't bring myself to make bread when it's 90+ degress :p
Our current high today (it's almost noon) is 63. It's bread weather here. :( I love fall, but we only got about 4 or 5 weeks of summer weather at all! Ugh. I have to play with the recipe though and see how it does. Cinnamon might be my next try, after sourdough. :p