Dwarf fruit trees/bushes

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Any experience with these? I am allergic to wasps, and I want some fruit trees that are small so that I can control the wasp population around them and in my yard. Huge trees in the yard are a wasp magnet!!! I figure these would be more manageable and they can be brought inside in the winter. I really want to know if these are as easy as it seems they'd be to keep? If anyone has experience, please share :D

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Nanking Cherry Bushes...easy peezy lemon sqeezy. Just find a way to keep the chickens out of them.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Thanks Jamie! I am looking at some dwarf tophat blueberry bushes too :drool

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Thanks Jamie! I am looking at some dwarf tophat blueberry bushes too :drool
I got sooo lucky on blueberry bushes a number of years ago - a local blueberry farmer was "downsizing" on a spur of the moment thing and I got like a dozen roots from his new stock.

Fresh blueberry pancakes in the morning.....:drool

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a dwarf pear tree...got probably a dozen pears the first year (in fact, I had to prop up the branches so they wouldn't break because the fruit were so heavy). :)

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
:gig all trees in colorado are stunted. Does that count?!?

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
I have a dwarf pear tree...got probably a dozen pears the first year (in fact, I had to prop up the branches so they wouldn't break because the fruit were so heavy). :)
That is awesome!

Abi....I don't think that counts :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
If you have too much fruit on a branch, you're probably better off thinning the fruit. Even propped, there's a chance for the branches to break. And while it will cut down on your harvest, it's worth it in the long run since you don't want to damage the tree.

Stark has fruit trees that you can grow in containers. I know they have apples, not sure if they have any others or not.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Granny has an orchard of em. She loves em! They're easier for her to keep than full size. But you ned Honeybees to go with those tree we have noticed a harvest difference since we got our Bees.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Granny has an orchard of em. She loves em! They're easier for her to keep than full size. But you ned Honeybees to go with those tree we have noticed a harvest difference since we got our Bees.
Somehow I don't think that is going to be a problem considering the GIGANTIC swarm of bees we had on our front porch right by the door last year :D