Dwarf fruit trees/bushes

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Probably not! But then you could get honey.............

My Mom is allergic to wasps and she never gets stung and she is the head bee person she fools with em. She wears a suit...........

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I wonder if enough bees around actually deter wasps...I know how to make a few wasp deterrents. I need to get those done BEFORE they start coming out this year!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
Im not sure really. :idunno
I wish I knew for sure, that'd definately be a selling point on getting some hives set up, though honey is a good enough reason. My SIL next door is allergic to bees though...

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Im PROMISE you that you dont notice them and they are not aggresive I get out and look in at them in the little door and I dont get stung. I have been stung twice in two years by my ignorance. They help blackberries produce...............MAJORLY

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
We have a natural hive around here somewhere close I'm sure of it.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
If you have too much fruit on a branch, you're probably better off thinning the fruit. Even propped, there's a chance for the branches to break. And while it will cut down on your harvest, it's worth it in the long run since you don't want to damage the tree.
FWIW, I was so blown away that I got any pears the first year & don't know a thing about growing pears...but I did pick off about 6-8 pears because I was afraid the branches would break. :/

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Most of my fruit trees are dwarf. I planted them because I have a small area and I wanted to be able to manage them myself. I don't bring them inside though. My mil has citrus on her patio all in pots. Lime, lemon, orange. They all do pretty good and fruit well.

not sure if that helps.

g

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I wondered about the dwarf citrus trees. I have two avocado trees in the sunroom in pots and a third one that just sprouted from a pit, but I haven't gotten any fruit from them yet. I LOVE avocados, but I won't ever be living anywhere where they can grow outside :/

ranchhand

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have a dwarf orange tree in a pot in the dining room right now. Need to plant it but can't decide where. Last winter it bloomed indoors but the flowers fell off.

I have several dwarf apple, pear and peach trees here, they've been planted for several years. So far the squirrels are getting whatever fruits they produce.

A couple things I've learned the hard way - buy the best quality trees you can. I got cheapos and it shows. And make sure they will grow where you are - I found out much later that there's a reason no one here has peach trees. Too close to the coast.

Valmom, I love avocados too, when I lived in Ecuador I picked them right off the trees. Yum. I have sprouted several but they seem to die after several months. Not sure where I'm going wrong.

Hi Cindi!