EARS -- so itchy

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Has anyone else experienced really itchy ears? I have for several years now. I go to the ear doctor regularly. He cleans out wax and gives me an oil drop that includes natural oils like balsam that helps some. Lately I have had some pain in the right ear. He gave me an expensive drop that helped a bit.

I do hate to sleep with my ears plugged up with oil and cotton. I can't hear if mom needs me, if the phone rings, etc.

I'm wondering what it is at the root of this issue? Is there something in my diet, environment, etc. causing this? I'd like to get to the root of problem and not keep doctoring the symptoms.

Curious of anyone else has had to deal with something similar. Thanks.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Since your ears connect directly to your sinuses .. It might be allergies. Have you given Stinging Nettle a go?

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
When my allergies are at their worst I get itchy ears. I can feel my eustachean tubes which connect the ear to the throat. It is awful!

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I've had plenty of bouts of allergies since childhood. Even had ear tubes at age 4. This seems unrelated to bouts of allergy and sinus. The itch is there almost every day. Almost feels something like eczema in the ear canal. The tinges of pain I get occasionally don't feel like the ear infections or the plugged eustachians of old. So I'm rather confused by the issue.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
I've had plenty of bouts of allergies since childhood. Even had ear tubes at age 4. This seems unrelated to bouts of allergy and sinus. The itch is there almost every day. Almost feels something like eczema in the ear canal. The tinges of pain I get occasionally don't feel like the ear infections or the plugged eustachians of old. So I'm rather confused by the issue.
That is different. Hmmmmm no answers here I'm afraid.

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
One time a doctor prescribed me ear drops. They caused my ears to be so itchy. This was part of an allergic reaction to the ear drops. The drops also had seeped to the back of my head while I was sleeping. The back of my head was itchy also for 2 weeks afterward no matter how well I shampooed my hair. I immediately stopped using the drops. I flushed my ear out a few times using a spray bottle with 1/2 cup warm water with 5-6 drops of tea tree oil. No more itchy ears.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
BeccaOH said:
Has anyone else experienced really itchy ears? I have for several years now. I go to the ear doctor regularly. He cleans out wax and gives me an oil drop that includes natural oils like balsam that helps some. Lately I have had some pain in the right ear. He gave me an expensive drop that helped a bit.

I do hate to sleep with my ears plugged up with oil and cotton. I can't hear if mom needs me, if the phone rings, etc.

I'm wondering what it is at the root of this issue? Is there something in my diet, environment, etc. causing this? I'd like to get to the root of problem and not keep doctoring the symptoms.

Curious of anyone else has had to deal with something similar. Thanks.
Get your Thyroid checked asap.
And get a full panel done by a Natropath, who actualy knows what s/he is doing.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Get your Thyroid checked asap.
And get a full panel done by a Natropath, who actualy knows what s/he is doing.
I suppose that is something to consider, but I desperately don't want to get stuck on a thyroid drug. I truly feel my mom's spiraling health issues started with thyroid medicines she began at age 25. :/