Earth 2100????

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So this show was on last night. I made it through the first hour before giving up and having to go to bed. Did anyone else see it? It was a bit scary. I kept saying to my self DS will be 15 when that could happen. DD will only be 20 if that happens. Talk about shock factor. But very eye opening. I hope it will make and impact.

For those who did not see it, the story was based on a sketched character who was born June 2, 2209. Then progressed through her life as the earth deteriorated and our natural resources ran out. Talked a lot about food shortages and the whole western US running out of water.

The thing that got me was they said that after 2015 we will not be able to reverse the damage we have done to our earth. It will be to little to late.

Anyone???

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I did not watch it as I was forced to watch Slumdog Millionaire (that is till I fell asleep), I did record it though and I am anxious to watch it!

On Our own

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is why you think that light is a train!! :lol:

People scoff at these shock factor movies, but they serve a valid purpose: they get people talking. Once upon a time people raised a ruckus about DDT and then the holes in the ozone layer. People say that was all poppycock because everything is fine now.

After working in safety for many years I realized that the hardest thing to prove to people is the thing that did NOT happen. When you prevent accidents and fires people think your program is not necessary because there are no fires or accidents. Safety budgets are always the first to get slashed.

We humans need to make some serious change in our relationship with our planet. There is no planet B. ;) And this one cannot take endless abuse before we make changes to it that we cannot undo. There is a trash flotilla in the ocean that is as big as a state (I forget which state!) No matter how small the state that is still way too much trash to be floating in the ocean! But, many, many of us do not know it is there or care enough to stop it.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I saw it was on and figured it was alarmist propaganda. Since I already got my fill of that during my high school years, I watched "Deadliest Catch" instead.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
To be honest and remember I did not watch the whole show. I think it reinforced most of our reasons for trying to be SS. They played up Greensburg and the fact that it was independent. Providing it's own energy and growing all it's own food collecting their own water from rain.

I think I would like to watch the whole show.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I heard it in the background as I was trying to fall asleep. I couldn't figure out what channel it was on. It didn't seem like something that would be on PBS, so I had to ask my husband. I was shocked something like that would be on ABC.

My opinion is that it is already too late to reverse things. Too bad half the population won't be convinced until it has already progressed past the point of no return. JMO.

Well, the flotilla of plastic in the ocean is actually larger than the whole United States and I think it is up to 2 miles deep, in some spots? I don't remember exactly how deep it was.

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
I did watch most of it. Missed the very end and missed bits and pieces during the show but saw enough of it to scare the living daylights out of me. Even though I already believed and thought most of what they showed it was still quite shocking to see it on TV.
Not sure how much it will impact those who live for right now and the people who want it all and want it all now. The show probably had an impact on us because it reconfirmed out beliefs already.
Sure some people will talk about it over coffee at Starbucks and then throw the little styrofoam cups away and wander on to their jobs and probably even discuss it in the breakroom at work eating their styrofoam pack takeout lunches.
Will most of those people actually change anything they do. NO

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, oldsters like me remember the big scare in the 60's and 70's -- the next "Ice Age."

Of course, that got supplanted by "The Greenhouse Effect."

And it seems to me the latest trend is now "Climate Change" -- just so everyone has their bases covered.

Don't get me wrong -- I do believe in being sensible and preach against waste in all forms.

But you can't panic about these things. There will be another crisis along before you know it.

Just take it one day and one trash dump at a time.

Inchy

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
The problem is that there are more of us now. Also, it seems that products have become much more disposable since about the 80's. And just imagine how few people actually bought coffee in to-go cups before the 1990's. :/ It all adds up and now it is adding up faster. I don't think it is wise to say that just because the world didn't fall in on itself back in the 70's, that it couldn't in the 2050's. That is faulty logic. (I'm not saying that is what you said inchworm, but it is an argument that one tends to hear).

What is disheartening is that even while "green" living is being promoted and catching on, it is more about selling the new "green" products and less about living with less or using more basic ingredients.

I'd like to know what would happen if we all had to live with our own garbage (no hauling away of trash), and what would happen if we had to drink out of the same water we washed in (or that our neighbor washed in). Would people change their tune all of a sudden? And how is it different, besides scale?