East Texas Gardening

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Nice Tshirt weather here; in the mid to high 60's, with overnight lows in the mid 30's. We have the garden expansion prepped with cardboard and chips. Next is several inches of well-aged horse manure, followed by garden soil leavened with aged compost. The chickens were having a great time following us and scratching at the chips- they are a year old, full of worms and mycorrhizae. It's still too cold to put out the peppers and tomatoes, of course. They are blooming in the greenhouse, with the door and windows open to allow possible pollinators, and to keep the humidity and temps down a bit.

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Hit 90 degrees here the other day .... but it has been some kind of wet. Picked up almost 4 inches of rain the last couple of days and now they are threatening us with 6 to 8 inches more today. I was thinking of trying some peanuts but now I think rice might be a better choice. o_O

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
It’s in the 60’s here, low 50’s at night. Raining. But nothing like you’ve had. You need a boat! Just tie it to the porch rail to keep it handy. LOL LOL

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We missed most of the rain so far today but there is a bunch up around Dallas that might make it through here tonight. Just got a warning that a tornado was on the ground near Love Lady. That's not real close to us but it is headed in our direction ... more or less. It's miserable outside ... 75 degrees and 85% humidity.

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just planted a few butter crunch lettuce and baby spinach in the studio. I'm going to try and grow them under lights and see how they do.

henless

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just watched Mark on the news. He said we may get up to 7-8 more inches of rain for some areas in East Texas.

We got 2 1/2 inches of rain and marble sized hail covered the ground this past Tuesday. My tomatoes came through ok, but it got some of my squash & green beans.

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We didn't get any hail but the rain is ruining everything. A couple of my tomatoes have leaf curl and the squash will have to be replanted. Everything else is looking pretty good though. I think starting Monday we are supposed to have TS's off and on all week.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have knocked ourselves out in the garden the past 3 days. I'm so late in planting, I might as well call it an early fall garden. LOL LOL

Tomorrow it is supposed to start raining and rain until next Sunday.

We got 3 1/2" this past week, more to come!

The Pagan Pig

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have knocked ourselves out in the garden the past 3 days. I'm so late in planting, I might as well call it an early fall garden. LOL LOL

Tomorrow it is supposed to start raining and rain until next Sunday.

We got 3 1/2" this past week, more to come!
Do you have that real sandy loam soil where you are? We do, so the garden drains fast and drys out fast but this is still just too much water for the plants. If it wasn't for the sandy loam we wouldn't have a garden left out there at all.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We need some of that rain here, bad! The effects of the drought from last year are still here, and now this year it seems that the drought is going to continue. Had very few walnuts last year, and no acorns, which is the first time since being here for 10 years.

East Texas does seem like a nice place, if one is going to be in Texas. Are there many or few creeks or rivers in your area @The Pagan Pig?

Latest posts