Easy Homemade Wine Recipe

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I posted this elsewhere and then realized I should post it here as well.

This is a recipe an old beekeeper shared with me, he makes it every year and gifts if out for Christmas. Adam and I used this recipe this year for the first time with great success, everytime Adam sips a little while cooking in the kitchen he grins and boasts how much he likes 'our' wine.

Okay, here is the recipe. Use at your own risk!

2 qt Welches Grape Juice (We choose the red/purple because it's a pretty color. )
2 1/2 gallons of water
1 packet of yeast
6 lbs of sugar

Mix the grape juice, the water, and the sugar all in a large food safe container. We used a orange "Gatorade" type cooler with the spicket on the bottom, makes it easy to filter later. The beekeeper used a food safe 5 gallon bucket, avoid used pickle buckets they could taint the taste and smell of your wine! Try to dissolve as much of the sugar as you can. Then add the yeast and mix just a little bit more.

Cover with a towel and sit in the corner. Do not seal the container, as it gives off gases and will most likely expand and ruin any containers that are airtight. We used a towel and it worked great, this is also what the beekeeper suggested using.

The next day, stir it up again. Just trying to keep sugars from settling to the bottom.

Let it sit for a week undisturbed. Best to keep it in the house, you don't want it to freeze or any unwanted critters in it. Also, please keep in mind that it is grape juice, Adam wanted to place it in a carpeted corner, um, no.

After a week has passed, your wine is ready. It will be carbonated at this time, you can keep it carbonated or remove the carbonation. We chose to remove it. Adam placed a lid on the container, shook it up, opened it and repeated the process until it was flat.

Next we ran it through a coffee filter. This is the most time consuming part of the process, it goes sloowwwwww... Patience.

We jarred it into quart mason jars, but after the jars sat for a day, we realized there was still a lot of sediment. So we filtered it a second time(much faster) and rebottled it.

Voila! Homemade wine. You can even choose to decorate the mason jars as we did, with just a square of red and white plaid fabric placed between the lid and the ring of the jar.

Have fun!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
How many quarts did this turn out to be? Thanks for the recipe! Next year I'll be using it for x-mas presents as well.

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
It is a very sweet wine. Personally, I favor the sweet wines and this is definately sweet!

Both Adam and I like it. A friend who recieved a quart reported she really liked it too. So far, so good. Even Adam's mother who isn't a big wine drinker tasted it and said it tasted like wine and that it was actually pretty good. ((She has very little faith in our homesteading projects, she won't eat anything but plants that come out of the backyard :rolleyes: ))

I believe it made 10 quarts, maybe 11. You can buy the mason jars from Food Lion.

The mason jars are by far the hardest ingrediant/thing to find especially this time of year. Usually they are seasonal. Walmart didn't have them. We tried a couple of craft stores next, but they sold them individually for $2 a jar. Then we happened to try Food Lion and they had them in a crate of 12 quart jars for $13. (Again, memory sucks, but it was a heck of a lot cheaper than $2 a jar AND it came with a conveniant carrying box. :p )

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I wonder if I have enough time to add this to my need to learn list. :cool:

buckeye lady

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have been a home wine maker for many years, and I have to caution you that your jars may explode. The yeast in the wine remains, no matter how well you filter the wine. Fermentation will continue at a very slow rate, building pressure in jars. One of three things will happen. 1) the jar will survive and you will have a nice carbonated drink. 2) the jar will explode (likely) or 3) the seal will give and you will end up with vinegar (most likely).

If you transfer the juice into a glass jug, and use a winemakers airlock (allows gasses to escape, but does not let air in), and allow the fermentation to continue for several months, all of the sediment will fall to the bottom. After several months you will need to add sulfites (be sure to follow the directions!) to stop additional fermentation. Now you can bottle safely.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I would love to make some homemade wine,...question about this recipe in particular,....I can my own grape juice( concords) and it has lots of pulp in it. We smash and heat the grapes and then run them through a food mill,..makes wonderful juice to make jelly. Anyway,...would this work instead of the Welch's grape juice??? Would the pulp cause a problem?? Should I strain it first???

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Up-the-Creek said:
I would love to make some homemade wine,...question about this recipe in particular,....I can my own grape juice( concords) and it has lots of pulp in it. We smash and heat the grapes and then run them through a food mill,..makes wonderful juice to make jelly. Anyway,...would this work instead of the Welch's grape juice??? Would the pulp cause a problem?? Should I strain it first???
Honestly, I wouldn't know.

This was our first time making homemade wine. We were just given the recipe and told how to do it by an old beekeeper that's been doing it for years. He grows his own grapes, but his wife won't let him use them for the wine, she says they're better off in the preserves. LOL

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I remember my father making wine with a kit one year- he used the whole grape pulp. It was actually pretty rough and raw, but I was young at the time and wasn't exactly a wine expert. I would think the pulp would work without filtering it for juice first. (disclaimer- not that I've ever tried it!)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
buckeye lady said:
I have been a home wine maker for many years, and I have to caution you that your jars may explode. The yeast in the wine remains, no matter how well you filter the wine. Fermentation will continue at a very slow rate, building pressure in jars. One of three things will happen. 1) the jar will survive and you will have a nice carbonated drink. 2) the jar will explode (likely) or 3) the seal will give and you will end up with vinegar (most likely).

If you transfer the juice into a glass jug, and use a winemakers airlock (allows gasses to escape, but does not let air in), and allow the fermentation to continue for several months, all of the sediment will fall to the bottom. After several months you will need to add sulfites (be sure to follow the directions!) to stop additional fermentation. Now you can bottle safely.
Can you can them in a pressure canner to stop fermentation?

http://plaza.ufl.edu/scott28/wine.html
There's a neat site on easy-peasy wine making.

I bought the stuff to make wine, now I just need to get around and make some!