Easy Homemade Wine Recipe

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
http://plaza.ufl.edu/scott28/wine.html
There's a neat site on easy-peasy wine making.

I bought the stuff to make wine, now I just need to get around and make some!
Here's my price breakdown of wine. I only made 1/3 of the recipe, simply because I'm going to make mine in 2L bottles instead of milk jugs. I'm weird about reusing milk jugs.

1 can grape juice concentrate - $.92
2 cans tap water - free (well, a fraction of a cent, but I'm rounding my cents here)
6 grams yeast - $.23***
30 grams sugar - $.07

***The yeast, I could be a little off on. I cannot find my other receipt, but I am fairly positive that it was $4.32 for 113g. You can get yeast at Sams that's 2lbs for $4 something. Or, you can make your own culture.
I did use the same amount of yeast (err, well, minus one gram) that the full recipe called for. I want to see if this speeds the process up. If you want to do it exactly as the recipe calls for, it would cost $.09 and you'd need 2.3grams (my calculator only does grams, so I'd just put in 2g and be done with it).

That's $1.22 that I've spent so far. Following the recipe (using the right amount of yeast) it would be $1.08. Right now, the fluid fills up about half of my 2L bottle.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
When you say yeast, do you mean regular bread yeast? Or did you buy a special wine yeast?

Has anyone tried substituting honey for the sugar? If so, how did it turn out?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just used regular baking yeast. You can buy the wine yeast, but I figure that you won't taste it after awhile anyways. :D

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I just used the regular bread yeast sold in the paper packets.

An update on this recipe: We left one jar intact(AKA we didn't drink it) to see how long it took for the pressure to take out the seal and it happened this past week. None of the bottles burst, but, the jar seal warped. So this definately isn't a long term recipe, this is just a simple wine to be consumed fairly shortly after making. So unless you gift it out to folks, don't make so large a batch you can't drink it within 3-4 weeks of bottling. ;)

We kept 4 quarts for ourself, and watched the fourth for the seal breaking. When the seal broken, we simply put the jar into the fridge and drank it.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wolf-Kim said:
I just used the regular bread yeast sold in the paper packets.

An update on this recipe: We left one jar intact(AKA we didn't drink it) to see how long it took for the pressure to take out the seal and it happened this past week. None of the bottles burst, but, the jar seal warped. So this definately isn't a long term recipe, this is just a simple wine to be consumed fairly shortly after making. So unless you gift it out to folks, don't make so large a batch you can't drink it within 3-4 weeks of bottling. ;)

We kept 4 quarts for ourself, and watched the fourth for the seal breaking. When the seal broken, we simply put the jar into the fridge and drank it.
What's the alcohol content like after a week? One could always make it on a regular basis and just keep restocking it. ;)

Wolf-Kim

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
You know, I'm not sure about the alcohol content myself, don't really have much to compare it to or any way to test it.

I don't believe it has any higher content than purchased wine, at least it doesn't have much more of an effect than store bought. Then again, I rarely have more than a single glass of wine. Someone with more experience than I would probably be better to answer that question.

And definately on the regular making of it. I thought it was delicious, myself, then again I love a sweet wine. Someone more picky or of the connoisseur mentality may think very little of it, different taste buds and different opinions. Hubby and I will definately be making more.

ducks4you

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
I just used regular baking yeast. You can buy the wine yeast, but I figure that you won't taste it after awhile anyways. :D
I know that I wouldn't!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
OH Wolf-Kim and Bettacreek!!! :love :love :love :love :love
Thanks so much for making my day!! If I'm not loving my coffee, I'm loving my wine!! (No, silly---I don't drink THAT MUCH!! :smack )

I have Concord grape vines. I store sugar and yeast (Fairy Dust), and, yes, I have balloons!!! Now...can I WAIT until next Fall to make this................