Reaction score
Interesting article that I just read from CBS news:

Economic Fears Drive Survivalism Boom
Many More Americans Stocking Up, Hunkering Down Just In Case The Worst Happens

CBS News

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Those preparing for the worst echo those thoughts and say learning to be self sufficient makes them feel more in control amid mounting uncertainty - even if it seems crazy to their friends and families
It is comforting, isn't it? Although I'd like my home to be well-hidden to avoid stealing and such if the worst did happen.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
We live in odd times.

"Those preparing for the worst echo those thoughts and say learning to be self sufficient makes them feel more in control amid mounting uncertainty - even if it seems crazy to their friends and families"

There was a time not too long ago, that not preparing for bad times would have seem crazy to friends and families. I guess the current thinking of society is to live for today, and let the government bail you out when things go bad. Sad.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There was a time not too long ago, that not preparing for bad times would have seem crazy to friends and families. I guess the current thinking of society is to live for today, and let the government bail you out when things go bad. Sad.
Yeah, that is the mentality of a lot of people. My biggest concern, is not so much the condition of our economy, but the dire financial condition of our federal government. Scary...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I surely don't rely on any government to save me...LOL

I take care of myself and prepare as I should. Having land and farming is the key. Anyone in "cement cities" can only prepare so much, then they have "mercy" issues. At the mercy of society and how it changes.

Being able to just control your "little piece of land" and live off it if necessary is so important.

Control? we have some, but not alot....sad but true.

I am glad so many are being more self reliant. Those are the ones that are coming back to a more natural order of life.....the plastic convenient society is being viewed more as an illusion now...that is good cause it is and natural is the way to head.

Hope that made some sense..HA HA HA

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
If you ask me, those who get into selfsufficiency/homesteading/survivalism out of FEAR aren't likely to wind up with much useful.

First, because most of the things you would be afraid of, you really cannot securely 100% prevent or be sure of being able to deal gracefully with, so that if you are all hung up on being afraid, no preparations you make will take that fear away. (As opposed to, if you are afraid, learn to deal with it, and become less afraid. Which has considerable practical value.)

And second, because things done out of fear tend not to be the most intelligent or useful, so a number of people seem to end up with (like) ten thousand rounds of ammunition and a year's worth of stored wheat, but no reliable year-round drinking water, or no clue how to cook/build/mend or do without modern conveniences, and no network of neighbors to tap for help.

I am sure that it's nice for all those companies making a profit selling stuff so people can be more quote self sufficient unquote, and probably some small percentage of people initially motivated by fear or faddishness will eventually "get it" in a more constructive way... but as for most of it, enh.

JMHO,

Pat

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Being able to just control your "little piece of land" and live off it if necessary is so important.
No kidding. I don't have a lot of space, but little by little I make it more productive. In the mean time, I really enjoy gardening and my ducks. If I don't need those things for survival, they are still cheaper than therapy :D

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
Pat - All I can say is AMEN.

You just described several people I know. They are buying up guns and ammunition like crazy. One guy just bought 4 guns in the last month and spent a fortune. He has spent another small fortune on ammunition. The problem. He can't shoot. When he gets a new gun he has someone else load it and fire it for him. LOL
Then he takes it home and puts it in his gun safe, never to see daylight again.

And he thinks I am crazy for having chickens, rabbits and a garden.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think that if the worst did happen that those who know how to farm and survive will be in just as much jeopardy as everyone else.

Back in my childhood my dad was real freaked out about the possibility of nuclear war. He built a below ground fallout shelter in our back yard that connected with our basement. My mom stocked it. Sometimes we would talk about it at the dinner table how things might go.

One day I asked him what we would do if the nice neighbors from across the street tried to come into our fallout shelter during a nuclear attack. The shelter was only big enough for the 5 of us and food stocked for 4 weeks.

My dad's reply was "see that gun cabinet over there? see that gun? I will do what I must to take care of you all."

So if things got really bad and mauraders from the city came your way, not just 3 or 4 but perhaps hundreds what could be done? If it all comes down I think we will all come down with it. There will be no place to run to and hide...no amount of food that will be enough.

pretty scary thoughts I guess.

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Mackey- This is super macabre, but I wonder if it would be possible to hide in the wilderness (we have Mt Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest near here) and hunker down until everyone else either starves, or does the same. Then everyone who's left will be sustaining themselves. 'Course that's dependent on me knowing how to live a few weeks or months in the woods.

One co-worker of mine says that if the worst happened she wouldn't want to live. She'd rather die than try to live off the land.