Economic Fears Drive Survivalism Boom

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
hennypenny9 said:
Amos- It's true you can't really prepare beyond the basics of staying alive. I totally agree with the other people, but I just have this feeling that I'd be okay. It doesn't make sense, and it's a bit weird. But I have this quietness, and there is so much wilderness that I still think I could hide. I know, I know, bands of crazies with guns might get me, and no, I would not be driving, and there's no point in worrying over it. But somehow I believe I'd survive.
Hmm. Must be something about your psych and past lives - if your into that sort of stuff ;)

Around here where I live there are a lot of spots where a person could hide for quite some time and be fairly safe from people.
I think my biggest problem would be staying healthy enough to come out on the other side.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
No kidding. I don't have a lot of space, but little by little I make it more productive. In the mean time, I really enjoy gardening and my ducks. If I don't need those things for survival, they are still cheaper than therapy :D
Totally!

OK, I haven't read this whole thread yet, but it sounds like a good one . . . back in a bit.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Hiedi said:
For example, if I know or suspect that there is a category five hurricane headed my way, fear will probably motivate me to get out of its path and make provisions to survive.
Sure, but that's a very specific occasion that you CAN react intelligently to :)

Whereas "what if civilization collapsed somehow" (or any other vague scenario like "what if there was some awful disease") is not plan-for-able, because there are way too many versions each of which would, REALISTICALLY, play out a different way and render different responses differently useful. Do you have gas in your car? How many OTHER people have lots of gas in their cars? Can you get to the mountains or are the highways a giant traffic jam, or has your car ceased to work last week because there was no replacement alternator available due to supply shortages. How many *other* people got to the mountains, and how much a) food b) tools/supplies c) ammo did they bring, and what proportion of them want to band together for strength vs shoot each other and take their provisions? Or do you end up getting halfway to the mts and then stuck without transportation in the middle of vast plains of farmland? Are you healthy when civilization collapses, or not, and what about family members? Does it turn out that the people in towns band together for support/supplies/protection and the mountains are infested with gun-happy overreacting wingnuts who feel that su casa should be their casa <bang, thud, splat>? Etc etc etc.

Learning to cook is always a useful skill. Practicing building things, large and small, out of raw materials and out of bits scavenged from other things. Learning to fix things (engine repair, small metalworking, sewing, etc). Growing, processing, storing food. Etc.

Those things will be valuable ALL THE TIME, no matter what does or doesn't happen. Guaranteed.

As opposed to plans and provisions made for something that may or may not occur anyhow, and if it does will almost certainly occur with crucial twists and turns that your plans utterly failed to anticipate and are very likely to render your plans weebly or useless.

JMO,

Pat
For the most part, I agree with your thoughts; I was just trying to think of some situations where "fear" might be a good thing when it comes to survivalism. I used the hurricane example because we were living in Pensacola when hurricane Ivan hit so I can relate to that kind of a survival situation, and I do recall being somewhat fearful, especially when my ears were popping from the pressure; and I thought the roof was about to come off the building we were staying in. At that point, we were in the basic survival mode (fight-or-flight response), and it was that fear that prompted us to move to a safer part of the building.

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I agree with you HennyPenny, I also feel like I could survive for a while in the mountains. However, I also know that it would be very difficult, and I also would worry about those toting guns and low flying helicopters. But I do think I could find food most of the year. Enough food? I'm not certain. A warm place to sleep? I don't know. But I have spent enough time in the woods to feel comfortable there and if I was going to die somewhere, I think it would be a more peaceful place to fade away . . . .

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I joke a lot that I can not eat a creature that I raised. I can go shoot Bambi but I can't eat a chicken I raised. LOL All this though is at a time in our society when can get good money at the markets and sales for my old hens or full grown young roos. In a time when everything takes the proverbial crap and driving miles to sell them is not an option nor profitable anymore, neck driving my not even be possible. Then well you know whats for dinner. :D But all this is on the homesteader side of me.

Honestly there is a totally different side that is far more survivalistic that only a few fokes like my hubby and a close friend or two know that I am capable of. Growing up as a kid I taught myself everything I could learn from books, old farmer neighbors, I listen to every thing my grandfather had to teach me and took it to heart. About living off the land in an 200+ years ago sorta way, think like a coming to the new world kinda of time. Making the necessities out of things that can commonly be found growing locally in the woods and swamps. My hubby is also quite handy in a roughing situation. I can admit that my skills are rusty I have not even thought about it for years, since we had our son until the past year or so.

My biggest fear at this time when it comes to the idea of a total social reversion is not fear for us but for our 6 yr old son. The hill billy in the forest life would be far easier for us then a young child who has not had the time nor inkling to even consider the idea what if the world as we knew it no longer existed what would I do then, and would I be actually capable of doing it.

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
nightshade said:
My biggest fear at this time when it comes to the idea of a total social reversion is not fear for us but for our 6 yr old son. The hill billy in the forest life would be far easier for us then a young child who has not had the time nor inkling to even consider the idea what if the world as we knew it no longer existed what would I do then, and would I be actually capable of doing it.
Nightshade, this is why we involve our kids in our survival plan totally. Including taking them out in the boonies and staying there for a few days, moving as needed for forage. We take only what we have in our packs, fishing stuff, first aid kits, dried food & survival bars. The food stuffs are only for emergencies, we eat what we can find and usually eat well, at least in summer. They need more work obviously, but kids can learn this too if you make it fun. My kids know the hand signs for quiet (finger across lips) Get down (hand firmly thrust toward the floor, palm down) stay put, etc. I'm trying to make sure my kids know what they can eat around the yard, how to make a simple trap, things like that.
What really worries me in a survival situation, is if both me and DH are... gone, and the kids have to fend for themselves. My DS has Down syndrome and he will naturally have a harder time than DD, but he is learning too. Thats why I'm trying to teach them as much as possible now. Also why I'm thinking the no-electro-week will be a good idea. They will begin to have an idea of what it would be like to live without our modern conveniences so if it DOES change, they won't be as shocked.
I do get shivers up and down my spine when I think about my kids being out in the wild by themselves... scary thought.
Gotta think cheerful thoughts now... anyone seen My Side Of The Mountain? Bout a young man who runs away to live in the wilds of Canada I believe, after reading Walden.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Gotta think cheerful thoughts now... anyone seen My Side Of The Mountain? Bout a young man who runs away to live in the wilds of Canada I believe, after reading Walden.
I love that book! As I recall, he lived in a hollow tree and learned much from his local library. He foraged and hunted and was tolerated as an oddity by the locals. This thread reminded me of that book, too.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Theres actually two books in the series I think, the second is The Other Side of the Mountain I think.. or else it was the name of his falcon's Side of the Mountain.. can't remember.
Anyway, the first one was a very good book, read it in like 6th grade. I decided that it would be a great idea to run away and live in the wilderness because then I wouldn't have to go to school. :lol:

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Anybody read Follow the River? That, I imagine, is how most of us would find ourselves trying to survive, except without the pioneer no-how. :rolleyes:

I can see folks making a half-hearted attempt at moving towards SS in low economic times, but the real die-hards stay with it long after the crisis is over......like my folks. They moved "back to the land" in the 70s during the aforementioned movement. They are still very close to still living in that manner, except they now have electricity and running water. They could manage very well without those things, though.

My whole life has been one long economic crisis, so its only natural that I would get wise to the fact that the only solution was to be less of a consumer and more of a self-reliant producer.