Economic Fears Drive Survivalism Boom

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Bee, I read Follow the River last year, one of my all time favorite books!

I think the only funny part of it was when she found out Ghetel's name was really Gretel, the book was really sad, but very interesting and a good real.

BeccaOH

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Amos said:
Bee, I read Follow the River last year, one of my all time favorite books!

I think the only funny part of it was when she found out Ghetel's name was really Gretel, the book was really sad, but very interesting and a good real.
Ditto. I read it a little over a year ago. It is an amazing story based on true events.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Anybody read Follow the River? That, I imagine, is how most of us would find ourselves trying to survive, except without the pioneer no-how. :rolleyes:

I can see folks making a half-hearted attempt at moving towards SS in low economic times, but the real die-hards stay with it long after the crisis is over......like my folks. They moved "back to the land" in the 70s during the aforementioned movement. They are still very close to still living in that manner, except they now have electricity and running water. They could manage very well without those things, though.

My whole life has been one long economic crisis, so its only natural that I would get wise to the fact that the only solution was to be less of a consumer and more of a self-reliant producer.
Have you read the sequel to Follow the River - The Red Heart. I think James Thom is an excellent writer, especially since they are historically based. I own a number of his books.

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
noobiechickenlady said:
Gotta think cheerful thoughts now... anyone seen My Side Of The Mountain? Bout a young man who runs away to live in the wilds of Canada I believe, after reading Walden.
I love My Side Of The Mountain! there is a sequel to it. I think it is called The Other Side Of The Mountain if I remember right. My gram had just found it and bought it at the local sal val before she went into the hospital this time so it will be a little while until I get to borrow it.