Egg Cartons

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Shoot! If anyone wants to pack up a bunch .... I'll pay shipping! I sell eggs and I'm lucky to even get the ones back I give to my kids! I've had to buy new ones @ .49 ea. That really cuts into my profit! P.M. me you think you can ... they can go cheapest post .... I can wait for them.

I've used them for seed starters too but you have to plan on transplanting them soon after they sprout. Fire starters, I used sawdust and wax but I've also seen crumpled newspaper and wax. Bead sorters. Grind them up into pulp to make a sculpting medium... my have to look on-line for directions. All kinds of things!

grambysfarm

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I was snooping around your forum and found the discussion of egg cartons. I totally agree to Cindlady2. If you want to get rid of some egg cartons, I'd be glad to take some off your hands. I have lots of chickens and am always looking for egg cartons. I'd be glad to pay shipping. Cheapest shipping is good for me too. I'll wait!

Deputy Dawg

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
We use the egg cartons that are made of paper mache, or something like that. Fill them with sawdust, then pour melted parafin on each. Wait for them to cool, and cut them into individual pieces, and store them in Zip lock bags. Make great fire starters. :)

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Our feed store charges 35 cents. Sometimes my neighbors give me cartons. I would buy some cheap if I saw it on craigs.

TroutsChicks

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Post on CL! I would take them off your hands if you where close to me. I have 16 hens and I have to beg for cartons!!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Oh no kidding. I never thought about putting them on Craigslist. A friend and I both have so many that we use them for firestarters. :hide We don't put anything in them except for maybe a few wood chips. They burn longer than wadded up newspaper.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I take ours back to the lady we buy our eggs from :)

Neiklot

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Fire starter.
Donate to local families that sell eggs.
Egg cartons must be the best thing to start a fire with!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I tear them up and use it to line the bottom of my compost bucket. Makes it a lot easier to dump!

I'm doing the same with flour bags, too, for now. Eventually, I want to convert to wheat berries and a mill.