EGGS -- the age old "how to store for winter" answers

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Every year we ponder how to keep eggs when chickens molt & slow/stop for winter. Freezing works, as do many other things to some degree. Recently I received this article from my Mother Earth News email and wanted to share for those who may not get these threads.

While the actual tests were done several years ago, let's face it...not much has changed with chickens and eggs in this department. Seems the Europeans are way ahead of remembering what grandparents knew, the bloom needs to NOT be washed off. Refrigeration will extend even what Mother Nature has provided.

Enjoy.

https://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/how-to-store-fresh-eggs-zmaz77ndzgoe?

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Good article. We stored up eggs enough in the late summer/early fall to take us through winter, just keeping them in the spare fridge. They still tasted good even after 4 mo., still looked good, though the whites were a little thinner/more runny by then. They didn't taste stale at all.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
That's why I try to have young hens going into winter. I have very few days, if any, when I don't get eggs. So, I normally still have fresh eggs all year long.