Embarking on a new plan for giving......

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I have always hated giving money to certian charities- I write a check and then for the next two years I get mailings from them each month til I am sure that they have spent every dime I gave them in asking for more. And I sometimes feel bad when money requested but I can't really spare anything.

So I have started to do something that I think will work for me. When I go shopping (mostly food shopping) I will purchase extra food items and bring it to the local food bank before I drive home.
They said that full meals in a can (things that provide protein,) and baby formula are really needed.

This way I can do what I can afford, I know that the money will be spent on things I feel are important and no mailings. Win-win.

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I think that is a great idea!

We try to donate food to the local share a christmas programs each year. And to the local food banks during non-holiday times.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I think that is a great idea! Last year we were having a hard time....no money at all and food was low. The local Christians Assistance Network gave us some food and a local church did as well. I told them at the CAN that I wouldn't forget it and I haven't. This year my money goes to them and to the church that provided for us last year. And I'm going to donate my time and gas to help the church deliver the groceries.

I never felt more blessed in my life than last year at this time. We had nothing and never really told anyone, but somehow people found out and helped us anyway. This year, we are a good deal better off but things are still just tight. I don't care about that, though, because I always stand by my word and any extra money is going to help someone else feel like I did last year. I remember standing in my kitchen with tears running down my face and feeling like God had shown me once again that we are not alone.

Quail, you have a wonderful heart, you know that? :bouquet

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Ah, Bee, I dunno that it's a good heart, just trying to give back and for the last 3 years food has just been what we have plenty of. There has been very little money for anything except possibly bare necessities.

I don't tell anyone when there's a need here.

Last Christmas I was encouraged to sign up for a Christmas program and a local church adopted our family and did well beyond what was expected. We were so floored.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I know! I stood up and told them at church(which was very hard for me) that noone chooses to be poor at Christmas, but that this year I felt more loved than all the other Christmases of my life.

I only had enough money to buy the boys one gift each but they didn't care. We spent the holidays in constant amazement and with a feeling of God sending his love, as one incident after another happened.

I've always been too proud to let people know when I'm down and last year was no exception, but somehow folks figured it out and gave us food and money enough to pay some utility bills. I had been out of work since July and had borrowed some money to get by on rent and a few bills, so all of the gifts came at exactly the right time. At the same time, I was getting electric bills with credits and I didn't have to pay for electric for 2 or 3 months!! I had this overwhelming feeling of God working in mysterious ways, you know?

Anyway, since I have a hard time accepting help, this was very hard for me to do. I think God was teaching me some humility and maybe providing others with a chance to have the good feeling that comes with giving. This year, despite all my bills falling in the month of December, I hope to have extra to give back to those who gave to me.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
That happened to us last year. One of us said something to someone about worrying about where we were going to find the money to pay for the next tank of oil we needed. When I went to order it I found we had a negative balance on our account because someone had made a payment for us.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
WOW H23
that is wonderful. truly a good hearted person out there somewhere. Makes me smile knowing that! :)

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
WOW H23
that is wonderful. truly a good hearted person out there somewhere. Makes me smile knowing that! :)
It was confusing at first and a little embarassing but we got over it pretty quick. We can't afford to do anything like that for anyone else right now but we do the little things we can do. I'll never forget it!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Our grocery stores have a bin at the front of the stores for food donations. I think it is a great idea. One that I haven't used becasue I forget to get extras whil shopping.

I see the bins when I first walk into the store, and then get to my shopping. I am very good at sticking to my list, so I oftne forget to get extras. I think what I need to do is put charitable items on my list so I can donate.