Embarking on a new plan for giving......

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
H23
remember that movie "Pay It Forward"
I liked it.

you get a good deed happen for you by someone, then you pay it forward...you do "anything" good for someone also. doesn't matter what, as long as it is sent down the line and more people pay it forward.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
my store does it easy.

they have pre-made bags. You just purchase one at checkout and it is added to the big bin. the bag contains everything needed for a meal. good idea actually, that way the bag is complete and can be handed out without wondering if all you need is in there.

I like that.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
what do ya'll think about the Santas and Salvation Army etc. ringing their bells and wanting donations at every store entrance?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
what do ya'll think about the Santas and Salvation Army etc. ringing their bells and wanting donations at every store entrance?
My mom rings the Salvation Army bell at Christmas season.

Also, one grocery store also makes premade bags for the month of December only.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I pretty much trust the Salvation Army- when I worked across the street from one of their apartment complexes for older people on limited incomes, I saw the "adopt a family" and special things they did for their residents. Our office adopted a family every Christmas- bought everything for a few meals including turkey and fixings, gifts for the family and individuals from the office added to it so there were plenty of presents under the tree and enough food for a month. The Salvation Army provided clothes sizes and lists of needs etc then distributed the packages and even requested thank you notes from the people who got them so we heard if it was a success- all done without names or other information. Every year I hoped for a little girl who loved horses so I could indulge my inner horseloving child. One year we got warm jackets for a family of 5, new shoes for all, complete outfits for all and school supplies with back packs for the kids along with lots of toys.
Really good program IMO.

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Our church does the Adopt-a-Family too. It's through a local interfaith ministry group. We're usually assigned to a large family with lots of kids. I try to sign up to get things for one of the children my son's age. I love it when we get to buy for a girl since that's something I rarely get to do. :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea I think the Salvation Army is a good program also.

You know I just saw on the news that departments of the United Way are closing. And they are closing some of their outreach buildings and such. No donations to keep it running.

They said the donations are down big time, the customers are up big time. And the new people needing help have never needed it before and are new to this system.

Hmm...sign of things to come???? More needing help and more people not being able to donate like they did cause they are financially stressed. that is not a good combination

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I can barely feed my family but I truly believe if you give of a good heart you will be blessed. What I do during the month of Nov. I make a list of all the items you might need for a Thanksgiving dinner. I buy an item or two a week and box it up right before the holiday and take it to a family i have heard of that year that is having it rougher than me. It comes out to be about 30 bucks this year since I got the turkey for .39 cents a pound.

angie68

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wanted to let everyone in this thread know...I went and finished my box to give to the needy, but guess what??? That 30 bucks I thought would make only one box made 3 because of the deals I got! Now I have 3 meals to give away. Here is what I put in the boxes and what I paid for each item.

12lb Turkey 3.68 (had a dollar off coupon!) .39 a lb
2 cans green beans .33X2 = .66
1 pack brown n serve rolls .89
1 box of instant potatoes 1.25
1 can of cranberry sauce .59
1 box of stove top dressing .89
1 can of turkey broth .59
1 roasting pan for the turkey 1.00 (Dollar Tree)
1 Pie shell .69
1 can of pumkin pie ready mix .89

Total for box = 11.13

I added 5 bucks to the 30.00 I had been saving for a few months and made 3 boxes. I don't know yet who I will give the extra boxes to but I know there are lots of families in need.