Emergency Alert System (EAS) Test

Veggie PAK

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Talk about controlling the media! I just heard about this upcoming test. I hate to think what the reason would be for having to actually use it.

The President has sole responsibility for determining when the EAS will be activated at the national level, and has delegated this authority to the director of FEMA. FEMA in control of national media? That's disconcerting.

"On Wednesday, November 9, 2011, FEMA, DHS and FCC will conduct the first national test of the Nationwide Emergency Alert System (EAS) test. This nationwide test will kick off at 2:00 p.m (EST) and run concurrently across all time zones. Whereas this is a great and historic undertaking there needs to be assurance that possible anxiety and panic are quelled.

This system test is the first of its kind designed to broadcast a nationwide message to the American public. In the history of the country, nothing like it has been conducted on such a level. As you may be aware, there have been tests in the past, but not of this magnitude encompassing all regions of the Nation simultaneously. The three (3) minute test will run concurrently on all radio and TV band stations exceeding the previous messages broadcast which were anywhere from a 30 second to 1 minute message.

There is great concern in local police and emergency management circles about undue public anxiety over this test. The test message on TV might not indicate that it is just a test. Fear is that the lack of an explanation regarding the message might create panic. Please share this information with your family and friends so they are aware of the test."

Below are websites that will provide more information regarding this
test:

http://www.fema.gov/emergency/ipaws/eas_info.shtm
https://nationaldialogue-emergencyalertsystem.ideascale.com/
http://transition.fcc.gov/pshs/services/eas/

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We get Emergency tests on both our local Canadian as well as US networks regularly, they are mandated to do regular tests.

I've seen exactly two REAL Emergency Alerts, both in the past couple of years and there is a definite difference (both were related to extreme weather). The local one was also repeated frequently on the local radio stations.

The tests play an annoying alarm sound along with a static image, the real alerts have rolling text with the same information as the voice-over--they look quite different to the tests.

I don't see how a nation-wide test would panic anyone, people who watch tv regularly have seen tests before... :rolleyes:

Veggie PAK

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The quote I shared was from a message my niece received from her employer. I agree with you that in this day and age, why would it panic anyone? I remember as a child when they had the civil defense drills and weekly air-raid siren tests. We practiced hiding under our school desks back then.

The absolute control of the media by FEMA for any length of time would be more of a concern to me. It's already somewhat controlled, but it just isn't announced publicly.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I see it as a control issue. The guberment will help you!! The guberment will help you!! Makes me wonder what german brainwashing they have in the signal. IMHO Just my conspiracy tail twitching. I know I'm nuts but yeah soon I'm sure I'll be one of the normal people. Especially whe the rest of country is picking though the trash for there next meal or in a federal camp of some type. O NUTS!!!! Or as the old saying goes RETREAT NUTS!!!!!!!!

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have been hearing about this test for several weeks now. Everytime I hear the message on the radio I can't help but think to myself, wow, what a great time for terrorist to pull some cr@p, right when everyone is ignoring the warning message.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Frankly folks, most of the USA would be even more in a panic if there was NO EAS. Think about it. Would you rather NOT know? OK so the media (owned by the liberal left) is in control of that but seriously folks if there was a real event, that is the quickest way for all Americans to be informed. The issue of control comes later in a sense and is NOT the issue here. The system is supposed to serve the people, not the people serve the system.

In the immortal words of Mr. Boyce "BE PREPARED!" He never said for what. just be prepared. More of us should heed those words and our anxiety levels would be significantly lower.

While no one person can be totally SS, the important thing is to be in a position to have a sustainable life, not just a few days but for the protracted future. A few weeks of dried food is nice but what then? Do you have garden tools, etc to sustain life or are you betting all your money on the "Gubement will help us" horse instead of the "Pitch in and help your neighbors" horse. My money is on the neighbors. They are the REAL WORLD out here, not the talking heads on the TV. Frankly, I haven't watched more than an hour's worth of TV in several years.

The issue is learn to do for the future. Do with what you have or do WITHOUT.

HOPE THIS MAKES SENSE.
Best to all
priority: urgent
1808_images.jpeg

Trim sends
//bt//

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I got an e-mail about it from my internet provider. We already get warnings about weather, Amber Alerts, plus tests to be sure the system is working. If we were to have another scenario like 9/11, I'm sure most people would WANT to know about it. W/one place issuing updates, hopefully there would be less confusion as well as panic.

Veggie PAK

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
A few weeks of dried food is nice but what then? Do you have garden tools, etc to sustain life or are you betting all your money on the "Gubement will help us" horse instead of the "Pitch in and help your neighbors" horse. My money is on the neighbors.

The issue is learn to do for the future. Do with what you have or do WITHOUT.
You are exactly correct. I have my dry stores taken care of, but they are only for the transitional period if "the event" takes place. I'm not talking about the end of the world either. I'm talking about major weather events such as the one currently in Conneticut where a million people were without power for days, and some still are. Storing food for such events is simply a prudent action that everyone should take. If people were to maintain a pantry in their home like in the old days, short term interruptions in utility services would not even be an issue. I talk with my neighbors about building up their food storage in case of any interruption in life as we know it. They have increased their stores. If something ever does happen that affects the entire country, it will be critically important for people to maintain the "community" they live in, whether it be your block, your neighborhood, or your city.

I am fortunate to have worked as a carpenter for 14 years, so I do have a full workshop of hand tools for woodworking. I also have learned from an old timer about using push-plows in the garden and how it saves you from back-breaking hoeing. I've been using one for almost ten years now. I have the gardening hand tools from the farm as well. Even the grass scythe for harvesting wheat that they grew. I have the pot bellied stove from my grandmother's farm that I can use for heat, and I also have the two-man saws from her farm. My son and I even used one to cut down a tree so we could experience it. Chain saws are great, and I have two, but when there is no gas they don't do much for you.

I am a seed saver, so I am prepared to grow crops in the aftermath of whatever. My food stores are intended to carry me and my family through to the next growing season.

That's my plan for now.

terri9630

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
W/one place issuing updates, hopefully there would be less confusion as well as panic.
Unless something happens to the "one" place. I know, I'm a pessimist...