Emergency Diversification

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
KevsFarm said:
Some of us are preparded for all type of emergency scenero's, some here are not and just believe in being as self sufficent as possible.For those preparded for several different scenero's/bad event's, how are you diversified, emergency wise...? Some have "bugout bags" for a fast escape, to perhaps a pre-planned hideaway ,stocked with stores.Some plan to just hunker down where they are, with there emergency stores.Some are just going to wing it, let the cards fall where they may.Others are prepared to join other family members and battle the zombies that are sure to come and try to take your stuff..What about you, do you have a diversified plan, for different possible emergencies.Plenty of people are financially diversified,so it seems logical, no...?
I would have thought you would have learned from the last financial disaster that diversification doesn't really work. Everything got hit, somethings worse than others but nothing retained value. If you know of anything that did not get hit, please advise so I can consider it for next time (There will be a next time)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I could not find the thread on the cost of food rising so I thought I would throw a note here.

On Monday I went to my local health food store to buy a couple things in bulk. I wanted to add some grains to my extended storage. Now that I have my Magic Mill. Anyways, I ordered a 50lb bag of white and red wheat. The young man said "no problem, they will be here on Wed". Wed. has come and gone and still no wheat. He said there was a problem. Yeah I could have told him that. But I figured it was not my place to pop his bubble. So It's supposed to be here today. I hope.

I have decided when I pick up I will have him order me two more. If it's taking this long it may be a while before it gets here. :barnie

g

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
~gd..what i learned from the last finacial disaster, is that i did just fine.My home is still worth alot more than what it cost me to build it in 1989...With land and construction loan, i invested $130,000.00, at the height of the housing market it was worth almost a million bucks, Today its still worth well over a half million.Don't own a dime on it, never took a home equity loan.That leaves me smelling like a rose and a nice little house to live in..:) Just so you know, this topic is about "Emergency Diversification" not finanical..Oh, i've had any kind of retirement plan, stocks or such, so that was no loss for me...I'd say in my case my investment in my home, and not using/abusing my homes equity was the best move i ever made.Of course i was fortunate enough to make good money comm. fishing, smart enough to pay my house of as fast as i could, when the housing market wasn't so crazy....! So, ~gd....thats what i learned from the lastest finacial disaster, and that my house and land was and excellent investment for me.

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
In my above post, it was suppose to read...Oh, i've never had a retirement plan ,stocks and such,so that was no loss for me...:)

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
Do we have a Skills thread? I saw an archive thread for books and articles, but I don't recall seeing one for skills in general, like starting fires or being able to repair tents, or sewing or whatever. It might be a good idea to have a thread dedicated to that, it could be interesting to see the responses.
There are hundreds of YouTube videos with all the skills you could imagine on them. Might be a good idea to collect them right off that and archive them on DVD's.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
What skiils would you like to address? There are so many "critical skills" and then there are the secondary skills.
I agree that this is a good subject. Perhaps you had a something specific in mind?
Certainly is more in tune with being SS too!

KevsFarm

On vacation
Reaction score
Why don't you just start a "skills thread"...? See what everyone comes up with... :)