Emergency Preparedness on the priority list now!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, after the earthquake, and with the hurricane brewing in the Caribbean.....it got quiet on the SS Forum all of a sudden. Makes on stop and think a bit about things, eh?

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, my internet was completely offline yesterday (unrelated to quake or 'cane), & I was going thru withdrawal symptoms!! ;)

I'm in NC, so I'm a bit concerned about Irene knocking my power out next week (cringe!).

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Everyone is busy hunkering down and picking anything up that could get blown around with a hurricaine- at least on the east coast- I suppose. If you don't pick it now it might blow away, and there goes your garden!

moxies_chickennuggets

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just alot going on in the US yesterday. I popped in to see any new comments..all I see was cobwebs. I am in Midlands SC....not going to get any Irene here. If aqnything, it will make landfall in Outer Banks and Virginia.

Beanie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just got back from a grocery stock run. After my house swayed yesterday....it really got me going to evaluate all I have here.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I will attest that it is comforting to live life prepared. I am not a "prepper" per say but have always stocked up to save money....and end up prepared. I store what we use daily and we could live for weeks or months (depending on the time of year) if needed. I also hate shopping so avoid it like the plague! I always shake my head at the full grocery store parking lots just before a storm. What on earth are all these people buying?

LovinLife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We just cleaned out and are filling up the water tank right now. It's a 500 gallon tank. We are just filling it up with the hose but has a top to attached to gutters. The only problem with the gutters to catch rain water is that we need to install new gutters. Since we've done our remodel we haven't gotten around to replacing them YET. I was wondering if anybody knows how much bleach I should add to this tank or if I should at all?

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
It made work go insane and I can only come here at work when it is really slow. :gig

S

sunsaver

I've been working a lot lately, and staying with some relatives who don't have internet. We are still in triple digit heat here, so i come home once a day to feed the cats, and check in on my ss friends. Earthquakes, hurricanes, economy, looks like TSIHTF already. I'm just glad i don't live near the ocean. Hope you folks on the east coast have got your bug out bags packed!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
DH & I just came back from Wallyworld & was suprized at how quiet it was (but wait til Friday!)...there was still bread & eggs, even!! (I had to at least buy limes for my vodka & tonic; what's a hurricane party without booze?) ;)

We're renting a beach house on Topsail Island, NC in two weeks with the inlaws...hope the house will still be there!! :/