Emergency Preparedness on the priority list now!

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
DH & I just came back from Wallyworld & was suprized at how quiet it was (but wait til Friday!)...there was still bread & eggs, even!! (I had to at least buy limes for my vodka & tonic; what's a hurricane party without booze?) ;)

We're renting a beach house on Topsail Island, NC in two weeks with the inlaws...hope the house will still be there!! :/
Why do I get the feeling you aren't at all concerned about this hurricane?Vodka and limes from Wallyworld...are you kidding?

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
moxies_chickennuggets said:
Wow, after the earthquake, and with the hurricane brewing in the Caribbean.....it got quiet on the SS Forum all of a sudden. Makes on stop and think a bit about things, eh?
Here is my take on this.
We do not do EP. We strive to be prepared by growing, raising, hunting and fishing for our needs, and keeping stocked for a year at all times.
This means always eating the oldest stuff, and rotating in the old.

It is our lifestyle.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
i_am2bz said:
DH & I just came back from Wallyworld & was suprized at how quiet it was (but wait til Friday!)...there was still bread & eggs, even!! (I had to at least buy limes for my vodka & tonic; what's a hurricane party without booze?) ;)

We're renting a beach house on Topsail Island, NC in two weeks with the inlaws...hope the house will still be there!! :/
Why do I get the feeling you aren't at all concerned about this hurricane?Vodka and limes from Wallyworld...are you kidding?
Wellllllll...I'm kidding a little. ;)

I have 2 full propane tanks, tarps, 6 months of food, 15 gallons of gas for the generator...really, the only thing I didn't have already was limes! :D

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Here is my take on this.
We do not do EP. We strive to be prepared by growing, raising, hunting and fishing for our needs, and keeping stocked for a year at all times.

It is our lifestyle.
Yep, same here, to a point. As part of our life style, as well as many others here I'm sure, we are just naturally prepared for most anything that comes along short of a direct nuclear attack (and even that to a small extent). :D

I believe that's what being SS is about. Let the non SS population fight over the last loaf of stale bread on the shelf at Wally World. Some of us, like sunsaver, are more prepared to handle a loss of the grid, but most everyone here is probably better off than a lot of our neighbors, just for having the SS mind set.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
If you are prepared, you can ride out the disasters and enjoy yourself. The last blizzard we had ended up being a 3 day poker party :D

S

sunsaver

k0xxx said:
Bubblingbrooks said:
Here is my take on this.

It is our lifestyle.
Yep, same here, to a point. As part of our life style, as well as many others here I'm sure, we are just naturally prepared for most anything that comes along short of a direct nuclear attack (and even that to a small extent). :D

I believe that's what being SS is about. Let the non SS population fight over the last loaf of stale bread on the shelf at Wally World. Some of us, like sunsaver, are more prepared to handle a loss of the grid, but most everyone here is probably better off than a lot of our neighbors, just for having the SS mind set.
I was working for a customer the other day, and the lights and tv shut off all of a sudden. It sort of freaked me out. I guess because my solar batteries almost never go dead, and i've gotten used to reliable power. Then i realized that they are on the grid! I just had to laugh at myself for getting worried. I always know when my power is going to cut off, because it is preceded by a week of rainy days. To have the power shut off with out any warning on a sunny day would mean a catastrophic failure or sabotage of my solar panels. It was just a shock to my brain. After about thirty seconds, the lights came back on. Stupid grid, tricks are for kids. :lol:

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have stores put away for a rainy day, in the form of milling grains,beans and rice.stored in a way to last 10-20 yrs, longer..? I've always worked the local bays to supplement my food supply, since i was 11-12 yrs old, pushing 60yr now.Following in my father and grandfathers footsteps , have also alway grown a big garden and canned.I've added raising poultry, tending honeybees and have heated my house with wood for over 35-40yrs.I learned a good work ethic young.I live on seafood, poultry and homegrown fruits/veggies.This is my way of life as a baymen/offshore fishrman.Sure i buy stuff at the stores, i ain't no Jerermia Johnson or Grizzly Adams, but am very able to feed myself from an assortment of shellfish/finfish/homegrownfoods anytime of the yrs.However, i believe in the words, Never Say Never...and i do believe in this day and age, anything and everything can change in a heartbeat.So i live off the fat of the land/sea and EP just in case...One never knows, my local seafood supply could be devastated as we have seen very recently in Japan and Louisana, the seafood producing waters were trashed very quickly.I'm prepared for the advancing hurricane as best i can, and don't plan on leaving.