Emergency Preparedness

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks for the link Marianne. I just spent a long time browsing there and I signed up to get the two e-books. Very nice.

hiker

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Barred Buff- If you are friends with any MDs or Dentists, etc you may want to see if they can write you and your family some scripts for a range of antibiotics, steriods, an epi-pen. I also have some quik clot to stop bleeding.

I also stocked a lice comb, mouse traps and pool shock to disinfect water. You have to make sure it only contains a certain chemical. I will have to check my stash to see what it is. I keep mine in a small vaccumm sealed bag . I got a small pouch ( about $2) from Rural King. It is more stable than bleach and easier to store.

If you commute a lot you may want to make a bug out bag for each car. I keep enough food, water, shelter, meds, etc to keep all four human and three canine family members alive. It is in a rolling duffel bag. I live in IN but work in Louisville so my worst fear is getting caught on the KY side of the river and having to figure out how to get across the Ohio River.

I have also put back a good supply of seeds. An alternative fuel source or multiple sources is ideal. Like WZ, I keep a camp stove & small propane tanks handy as well as several cans of chafing fuel for a quick heat up.

This whole process seemed very overwhelming to me at first (and still does sometimes). I started out with a 3 days' supply, then 30 days, 90 days, 6 months and finally 1 yr in all the major catagories:

Food ( including Dog Food)
Supplies (shampoo, toilet paper, soap, dishwashing detergent etc)
Water
First Aid/Medical
Security/Defence
Shelter
Fuel & Lighting
Tools

Of course, there are SO many good ideas here to keep you going. Good Luck! :cool:

Veggie PAK

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I just want to share some information that I saw on the History Channel the other day. In regards to heat generated by fire, they said that pork fat burns four times as hot as wood. I'm always reading on SS that some folks butcher their own hogs, so would that be a possible source of fuel for heat or cooking for anyone? Do you suppose they're talking about plain old bacon grease? If I was butchering hogs, I would investigate the fat being used as a fuel source in a pinch. Any thoughts on this?

Additionally, I would suggest folks check out the surprising solar cooking methods at:

http://www.greenpowerscience.com/LINEARSPOT.php

I got one of the large fresnel lenses from a rear projection TV that someone threw out. It does just what they say it does! I also got three extremely powerful magnification lenses, each about four inches in diameter from the same set. The catch is, it has to be a rear projection TV. Not a hard glass tube kind. Check out their website. You will bookmark it for sure!

Chefmom

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Mostly I always tell people to look around you. What would miss most if you couldn't get it tomorrow? Shampoo? Toothpaste?

Okay, prime rib is probably at the top of the list, but really, if you cut your finger and you didn't have that "triple-anibiotic" cream to smear on the cut to prevent infection what would you do?? You want that answer now, not after SHTF.

Herbs? Well the first thing to do is to look around you and see what Mother Nature has put in your yard and in the park down the street, or the meadow across the way. If you are stung by a bee you want to find Plaintain. It's a simple weed, most people spray chemicals on it so it will die and not bother them with it's fat leaves and funny spiky flowers. And then there is Burdock. You will know that one if you let your dog run in the woods this time of year. He will bring back LOTS of spikey balls in his fur that are impossible to remove (and when you do, they are now stuck to YOU).

I have spent quite a few years learning what to plant and what to harvest from the wild. A "simple" cut can become an infection and an amputation or death without medical facilities. However there are some plants that can help. Plaintain, yarrow, calendula, garlic, comfrey to name a few.

I suffered with an eczema on my hand for more than 20 years. It would get worse in the winter, making my skin flake off and split into deep crevices that were unbelievably itchy and painful. I tried every cream that the pharmacy could sell me over the years and ended up having to wear a glove with a lot of goo on my hand for most of the winter. Then I started reading about herbs, I started with skin healing herbs and that led me to plaintain, burdock leaf, comfrey and calendula. At first my approach was simple, I took the fresh leaf and smashed it in my hand until it was gooey and juicy and rubbed it on the wounds, then covered my hand and let it sit. I used the plants one by one, but then with fall coming I knew I wouldn't have the plants over the winter, so I harvested them and steeped in oil. Over the winter I was smearing the oils onto my hands and for the first time it wasn't getting worse, but better. I had no elastic skin on the pinkie side of my palm to the center of my hand, but the cracking stopped, and the red and itchy patches slowly went away. It was about 6 months in total, but that was 4 years ago and I have not had it return.

So now every summer I harvest these herbs, and I steep them in oil. I now mix them in equal parts and add melted beeswax to make a salve. It's not as messy to apply as runny oils. About three times a week, or if my skin feels dry I apply this salve and I have not had a problem since. I now use these herbs for other issues, some mixed together and some on their own.

I had the opportunity to use yarrow on a real bloody wound. I use a small hand hoe in the garden for most of my work and I was chipping away at a large clump of weed roots when I missed and plunged the sharp tip into the top of my big toe. It was a bleeder!! I first hopped around and swore a LOT, and then I ran to the edge of the garden bed where I found my two faves, yarrow leaf and plaintain and I mashed both and squeezed the blood out of the toe and then squeezed the juice of the leaves onto the wound. Then I took fresh leaves and smashed them and wrapped the toe in a bandage of sorts with the leaves of the plants, tying them onto my toe with the stalk of the narrow-leaf plaintain flower. The bleeding seemed to lessen within the 10 minutes that I sat there, then the pain started to lessen, so I went back to work, taking care to not knock off my leafy green toe bandage. When I was done I went to the bathroom to prop my foot in the sink and get a really good look at things. The wound was about 1 inch long and I don't know how deep, I hit it pretty good, but it wasn't bleeding and had closed up, so I cleaned it first with my tea tree oil soap and then with a witch hazel infused with calendula that I keep on hand and didn't bandage it, but left it open to crust over. The pain had gone away so I forgot about it. Two days later I was telling my husband the story and showed him my toe to find that there wasn't much to show. Just a red line that was the wound, no swelling or redness. I didn't do anything after that day, so it really healed quickly and neatly. I was sold and have used herbs for cuts etc ever since. I increased my store of those herbs, and am planning a full garden where I can grow more.

I haven't studied anywhere, I have a large collection of books and I do love Susan Weeds' collection of videos on youtube. I let my yard grow and get a good look at the plants to see who is who and I have a happy plaintain patch off my back patio and I am now letting a large patch of yarrow grow in my front yard. I harvest burdock on my husband's mother's property. It likes the soil rich and moist and so it doesn't grow here as much.

I have a large patch of comfrey, oregano, marjoram, lavender, echinacea, lemon balm, catnip, I grow rosemary as an annual, and spearmint and peppermint in pots, several kinds of thyme and calendula tucked in many corners of my garden. I also have Sweet Annie popping up everywhere ( I use it dried to keep out moths) and purple perilla, mostly for looks.

As I learn more about various herbs that I can grow I plant them, or find them along the road. I can't get enough coneflowers and daisy blooms.

As for the stocking up issue, you will want things that you can't make yourself. I have a lot of vinegar, salt, sugar, empty wine bottles and I'm going to learn to make my own fruit wines if it's the last thing I do!! However, many herbs are steeped in oil and in alcohol, so I'm stocking up on vodka and witch hazel as well. Bandages? Well, I have bought a LOT of plain muslin for it's many, many uses. And yes, shampoo. I make my own soap and have a good store of lye, but I just can't get past liking shampoo.

Tami :)

..........................going to wash my hair...........................

AnnaRaven

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
One thing I got reminded of recently - bug spray. And a stock of tick collars. West Nile sucks. So does Lyme disease. I've had the vet suggest that we get tick collars for the dog in case we go hiking. (The fleas are dealt with by a monthly pill along with worms.) You can wear a tick collars as anklets, as well, to keep the ticks off (birders do this).