Empty cans...

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What can I do with the metal cans that store-bought canned foods come in? I have several in use as cat, dog, and chicken feed scoops, but can't think of any other uses... I HATE to throw things away, especially when I just KNOW there is something I can use them for- any ideas?

mrscoyote

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A few ideas
flower pots
punch a hole in each side connect string and you have stilts for the kids
use as biscuit cutter
cut decorative designs in sides and use as a candle holder
make a wind chime
Have fun
Nancy

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Construction paper, glue, decorations, scizzors and kids. Combine with cans to make pencil holders. Let kids wrap them up and give for Christmas gifts.

Cans, kids and paint. Paint the cans and use for flower vases. Pick your own flowers and put in the cans, take to sick people in hospital. Kids can take flowers to their teacher.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
These are cool ideas. I had forgotten about the solar heater...need to make on of those for my greenhouse!

okra

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Solar heater for a greenhouse - what a great idea. Will add that to our list

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You need pop or beer cans (aluminum) for the can solar heater, not food stuff cans.

You can use some of your cans as filler in large planters. I saw some pics a long time ago where someone made 'rocks' using cans wrapped in a couple layers of chicken wire, then coated a few times w/ lightweight concrete. On the same note, you could use them as filler for a concrete edging around your drive or flower bed, too.

Collector

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Save some of various sizes to make a hobo cooking stove for your emergency kit , or camping. They will burn twigs, solid fuel tablets , or homemade fuel made from paraffin and cotton balls. We also use them for feed measures which has already been posted...:)

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
You need pop or beer cans (aluminum) for the can solar heater, not food stuff cansWhy is that? Sure aluminum Is a great conductor but food cans made of steel conduct pretty well. I can get paid for aluminum but steel cans can be hard to get rid of because of a the inside coatings that aare used to make them safe for food use. ~gd

You can use some of your cans as filler in large planters. I saw some pics a long time ago where someone made 'rocks' using cans wrapped in a couple layers of chicken wire, then coated a few times w/ lightweight concrete. On the same note, you could use them as filler for a concrete edging around your drive or flower bed, too.