End of the world.....

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My approach is this: "If you are not a SLAVE to the system, collapse of the system will not affect you."
There are enough "natural" disaster issues to be had that being "outside" the box" offers much more self-confidence and comfort. This is where I choose to be. Put you money into things that help you live "outside the box" and you will be much more comfortable than those who panic each time the "box" begins to wobble.

For everything you make, or do for yourself or produce there are '10000 things" that others do differently. All of us are descended from folks who actually did survive in times when they had significantly less than we have now. If all you ever do is LEARN about what they did to survive and adapt what you KNOW NOW to what they did then, you will feel so much more confident and comfortable. Let me give you an example:
My great, great Grandfather was a surgeon during the Civil War. They had soap in those days, but had no idea that the simple bar of soap would eliminate much of the infection problem they had. He was able to do an amputation in about 90 seconds. If they had known about bacteria (*not described until Louis Pasteur came along) the incidence of infection would have plummeted. So, with the knowledge of the bacterium we now possess, we are able to take simple steps to prevent disease that they could have used in that time but just didn't know. Another example is electricity. Look how much we know (and depend on) regarding electricity. We now KNOW how to generate it. We now use electricity for heating out homes, communicating with each other and a host of other things, all of which are now KNOWN. In addition, we KNOW how to generate electricity without using a consumable resource. The sun and the wind and the movement of water can all produce electricity without any contamination of the atmosphere or the environment. We don't have to revert to the 16th century to live if we don't want to.
Yes, the world as we know it, HAS changed. Even if it changes signficantly at any time in the near future, as long as we manage to retain the knowledge of the advances humans have been able to achieve, then we can continue to live in a more comfortable and civilized manner. We will feel safer and more at east. This is the difference we need to accept.
Being "Prepared" for a major disruption in the infrastructure of the society in which we live does NOT mean we have to revert to the Stone Age and be in fear of everything. We need to be able to withstand any problem for long enough to "rebuild" what we have that is USEFUL. That may take a year or two, maybe longer but think about all the stuff lying around. Even in the event of a MAJOR loss of human life, the stuff we have produced since the age of technology began, is still sitting around waiting to be "RE-purposed" or rebuilt.
We really don't have anything to fear except hard work. If we are NOT afraid of hard work, the rest of it is EASY.
Store food, water, and necessities. Have the ability to live for several years without the current supply system. Figure out what you would need to LIVE comfortably until you and all your neighbors can work together to help each other live in a DIFFERENT world, not a world that was irreversibly destroyed. Even thermo nuc le a r events will be survivable for many. Those are the many who will need to work together to make living good for each other once again. Yes, there will be those who will attempt to take advantage of others during those times, but they invariably can be "dealt with".
In the mean time, learn how to MAKE the things you like to have to live. Do you know how to make toothpaste? Do you know how to make concrete/cement? Learn the methods for making things and find out what materials are needed. Then go about storing THAT INFORMATION for those who come after us in the event that things are destroyed. Then we can sit back and ask "Mayan who?"

Not a sermon just a thought.
Happy NEW YEAR
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The sad thing is that many are unwilling to help others. I'm a member of another larger forum and was quite dismayed by the vast majority of thoughts leaning towards "let the people starve" even long before any end... This was just in a discussion about milk substities and those who couldn't raise their own diary. Disturbing. If anything happens, people need to help each other, otherwise humanity is doomed.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
The sad thing is that many are unwilling to help others. I'm a member of another larger forum and was quite dismayed by the vast majority of thoughts leaning towards "let the people starve" even long before any end... This was just in a discussion about milk substities and those who couldn't raise their own diary. Disturbing. If anything happens, people need to help each other, otherwise humanity is doomed.
There are those who will work for the preservation of society and those who will work only for the preservation of their own body. There will be no guessing once that begins. You will know them. You will have to decide exactly how you want to deal with it.
There are many choices but the main choice is to do what you believe is "RIGHT". Imagine losing the right or "will" to make those decidions. Life would not be much.
I am aware of the issue you raise, but there is another approach. You can't save them all. You will have to deplete all you have done to preserve those who will tell you they are "entitled to what you have". You may "differ" with their opinion. We have that in this country now. There are a number of states that have more people on welfare than they do who work. This is a death spiral. These people also have the right to vote. They do nothing to contribute to the welfare of others and on top of that expect others to support them. It doesn't take a genius to see where that is going to go. The question is "how long will it take to get there?"
So are you going to feed them? How many of them are you going to feed? FOr how long will you feed them? Will you have to sleep with one eye open because there will be those who will think you don't have the right to have worked for what you have and they will "vote" with the others to take what you have. That is what happened to the recent election in my opinion. When it gets personal you may begin to reconsider your approach. It will only take one death to realize they are NOT going to be reasonable and are NOT going to work for what they get and they will simply use force to take what you have. What is your plan for that?
We all have to think about that. It is human nature. The "grasshoppers" are everywhere and growing into a plague. The ants are being destroyed and will eventually be replaced by "grasshoppers" who will NOT work and will do only what they want. Drugs, alcohol, tobacco and other drugs are their preference.
Make your decisions now and bond with those who will work. The ones who come with their hands open but no tools will consume what you have, steal what they want and leave you dead or just hungry.
I understand the problem, I just don't have any good answer as to what you will want to do.
Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni
Trim sends
//BT//

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't believe in the end of the world. As it stands now, I help where I can. I don't believe older or city folk should die just because they cannot raise their own food. In today's world, people are saying to let anyone who cannot raise their own food starve. Total folly and crude thinking imo in normal everyday life.

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
They will find out you have some to share and they will take it all. Sadly too many people like that. You have no idea how many times this conversation gets rehashed. Every time I hear someone saying all they need is their gun. They will go down to the sucker down the road, kill him and take what they need. Seriously, I heard this in a gun store, in a soap shop at a historic village, and from 2 family members. My plan if the world comes to an end seriously is just to wait with the family. There will be no hiding from it. My plan if the poo hits the fan is the family I trust is coming to the farm and we will band together. There are certain non family members that would also be welcome. Otherwise they better be marching up that hill with a white flag and a good story ... So yea thats our plan if it all goes down the tubes and we are on our own.