Energy efficient refridgerator idea.

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have an idea but I need to know if the cost of conversion would be worth it.

What I would like to do is separate all of the workings of the refrigerator from the body. Locate those in a near by mechanical room and pipe back into the refrigerator. The idea is to isolate the heat of operating the unit and then to reinforce the insulation around the refrigerator.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to restrain myself and NOT post pics of my food buried in the snow. That's efficient refrigeration ... Assuming the coyotes don't get it. ;)

And since I can't answer your question, I'll bow out. Cool idea though. :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
That is a great concept! It makes a lot of sense. I think the conversion would be worth it in the long run, but if you are looking for immediate results it may not be. That is IF you are converting a newer fridge and not one that is going to go out soon. I'd try it! If you do, let us know how it goes :)

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I am on a chat line with my little brother right now and we are discussing this. He said the only cost would be having the system charged when done and that is only like $150. So the cost of doing it is not an issue. He suggested using a built in as they are are already designed for that type of cabinet installation and reinforcing the insulation around it would be a piece of cake.

I then got to thinking that the waste heat from the mechanical room could be vented out of the house during the warmer months and set the vent system on a thermostat so that when heat is needed it could be directly vented from the mechanical room. It would not be a huge amount but would help in cooling and heating.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wallybear said:
I then got to thinking that the waste heat from the mechanical room could be vented out of the house during the warmer months and set the vent system on a thermostat so that when heat is needed it could be directly vented from the mechanical room. It would not be a huge amount but would help in cooling and heating.
What would be cool is if you could somehow channel that waste heat into some kind of low grade water preheating system.

Just a note, the newer refrigerators are similar to a heat pump. They'll be more energy efficient in the house rather than sitting on the porch in the winter.

Another note, if you have to have a 'recharge', that means that you lost refrigerant.. not good for evironment, and illegal. Could you get decent results by adding insulation to your existing frig and channeling the waste heat by a vent through the wall? And not messing with the working parts?

Wallybear

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Marianne said:
Wallybear said:
What would be cool is if you could somehow channel that waste heat into some kind of low grade water preheating system.

Just a note, the newer refrigerators are similar to a heat pump. They'll be more energy efficient in the house rather than sitting on the porch in the winter.

Another note, if you have to have a 'recharge', that means that you lost refrigerant.. not good for evironment, and illegal. Could you get decent results by adding insulation to your existing frig and channeling the waste heat by a vent through the wall? And not messing with the working parts?
A technician would come out and disconnect and then later reconnect the system. It is all done to EPA regulations.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Years back my hubby mentioned that a friend of his from work (the guy worked in building engineering) had taken the compressor out of his fridge and dropped it through the floor into his basement to achieve just what you describe. He said it worked well according to the guy, but all I have is hear say evidence. :hu

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We want to install a commercial fridge in our house. Since we don't want the noise and heat, we asked what could be done. We were told that we could order the fridge without the working bits/compressor and have a refridgeration co. install them outside the house and pipe into the fridge. It didn't work out to much extra as the stripped fridge was reduced in price by 1/3 so this is what we are going to do. We also get a beefed up compressor as well.

Latest posts