EPA Looks at Banning Lead Based Ammo - Update on pg 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
Wifezilla said:
Didn't Wisconsin get rid of lead shot a million years or so ago? I think they were using steel after that.
They outlawed lead shot for water fowl hunting. Some states outlawed lead for upland game birds as well. They now use steel shot.
Same for MN, since the early 2000's I believe.

You are right Denise, but those that burned the Druid's books are now today's majority. :lol:

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2dream said:
I can see where lead would be a problem, especially now that they have cleaned up air pollution, stopped all chemicals from being sprayed on crops, invented an affordable car that runs on a very affordable, environmentally friendly fuel, cleaned up the nations polluted lakes, rivers, streams and oceans. I mean really, its about time they tackled this problem.

Is there a saracism dripping smilie somewhere?

Does anyone else ever get the feeling that we are slapping at gnats when we have elephants jumping thru our windows?
I love you, 2dream. I just really appreciate how the EPA can make regulations that impede our constitutional rights, regardless of how inane the argument is... Oh no, you can't plant asparagus on that lot, that is a habitat of the twinkle toed newt. There are only 7 million of them left in existence. /end sarcasm GRRR!

Illegal for waterfowl hunting in MS, too. Hunting is ever on the decline, even in this very rural state. Wildlife, Fisheries & Parks department has been BEGGING for people to come back out to the woods. Few of the young kids are even interested. Let's make it even harder, because if you don't hunt, why ever would you need a gun? :/

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Shiloh Acres said:
You know what shocked me a year ago was when a friend of mine told me they HAD PASSED (and somehow I never heard of it during the process?) a law that made illegal all books written for children before a recent year. All the history texts, etc. that many people use for homeschooling could no longer be bought, sold, or traded or I suppose technically owned. The local homeschool book reseller had been told to destroy all such books and she called my friend and asked her to come get her books so she wouldn't have to burn them.

That's another way to rewrite history, no? Get rid of any texts that disagree with what you want everyone to think.
I'd have to see evidence of this one. Claims like this get everyone hysterical and are rarely true.

We have plenty of hunting going on in WI despite an apparent waterfowl-leadshot ban. Sometimes things are not as scary and conspiracy theory as they may appear to some.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
Shiloh Acres said:
You know what shocked me a year ago was when a friend of mine told me they HAD PASSED (and somehow I never heard of it during the process?) a law that made illegal all books written for children before a recent year. All the history texts, etc. that many people use for homeschooling could no longer be bought, sold, or traded or I suppose technically owned. The local homeschool book reseller had been told to destroy all such books and she called my friend and asked her to come get her books so she wouldn't have to burn them.

That's another way to rewrite history, no? Get rid of any texts that disagree with what you want everyone to think.
I'd have to see evidence of this one. Claims like this get everyone hysterical and are rarely true.

We have plenty of hunting going on in WI despite an apparent waterfowl-leadshot ban. Sometimes things are not as scary and conspiracy theory as they may appear to some.
well, I'll see what I can do to look it up. I'm sure the lady wouldn't dump 80% of her inventory for no reason (I've known them both personally for 8 and 14 years).

I'm not saying they were having book burning parties in the street. I suspect everyone, or almost everyone, who owns the books kept them. It's just not legal to sell them or transfer them. Not for positive sure about private ownership, but I don't expect anyone to knock on my door and want to inspect my books. But ... In a business that trades in them, yes.

And I suspect the real impetus, at least SOMEwhere, behind the measure was controlling books. It's one thing to ban toddlers board books that might actually pose a threat. It's another to tell me I can no longer buy the history series I wanted to use for a middle-schooler, who I doubt is in danger of eating the books and getting lead poisoning.

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, turns out it's easy to find. Google "lead children book" (without quotes) and it's there. Before 1985, I wasn't sure on the detail.

Not sure who you'd consider a reliable source, but there are articles in USA Today, Washington Post, and many more.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/23/AR2009032301764.html

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2009-03-18-lead-books_N.htm

And from a government site:
http://www.cpsc.gov/about/cpsia/faq/101faq.html

Does the new requirement for total lead on children's products apply to children's books, cassettes and CD's, printed game boards, posters and other printed goods used for children's education?

In general, yes. CPSIA defines childrens products as those products intended primarily for use by children 12 and under. Accordingly, these products would be subject to the lead limit for paint and surface coatings at 16 CFR part 1303 (and the 90 ppm lead paint limit effective August 14, 2009) as well as the new lead limits for childrens products containing lead (600 ppm lead limit effective February 10, 2009, and 300 ppm lead limit effective August 14, 2009).

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree there's a lot of conspiracy stuff going on out there that's way hyped up. And I have a few much-loved friends who I have learned not to trust their stories.

Have to admit, this one shocked me too when I heard it. What bothers me in reading about it tonight is finding libraries are also told not to circulate their children's books printed before 1985 either.

It's not that I think the book police are going to show up at my door tomorrow. It's having these kinds of laws on the books that can be used against us "someday". And it DOES bother me that parents can't buy most of the books preferred by homeschoolers, because the greatest percentage of them were printed before 1985 and most of those are now out of print.

And from an affordability standpoint, if they are being newly published, the costs are usually multiplied at least several times over for new books.

Sorry, I guess this has been a real sidetrack to the thread. Ammo of course is an easy place to use lead regulation as an excuse. I just wanted to point out that it's even more far-reaching.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
In a swift and unexpected decision, the Environmental Protection Agency today rejected a petition to ban the use of lead in bullets and shotgun shells, claiming it doesn't have jurisdiction to weigh on the controversial Second Amendment issue. :woot :clap :weee :celebrate :bun

Status
Not open for further replies.