Erin's Journal- Turning Frugal

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Mickey328 said:
Pretty eggs! Look just like mine :) Wow, the going rate there is less than here...I sell mine for $3/dz but I've seen them listed for as much as $4.50, which I think is ridiculous. Even in the grocery store, the "free range organic" (yeah, right) eggs go for about $3 a dozen so I guess that may be why folks will pay so much more for the real thing.
Thanks! Yes, the rate is lower here. The organic eggs at the grocery store go for I believe $3.58, and that is as expensive as they get, but none of my customers would pay that price. I would love to raise my price but I don't want to scare anyone off.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Prices for organic, free range eggs here is over $5.00/dozen! But, if you get farm fresh eggs from a local, they cost much less. Makes no sense to me. Right now, I'm not getting many eggs, so unless I have someone tell me they want eggs, I'm not selling any.

mississippifarmboy

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We sell our eggs for $2 a dozen also. I know a few people in the area that sell at $1.5 but at $2 I'm not even breaking even in the fall/winter. It does help pay the feed bill though and we get all our eating eggs free if we sell enough to break even in a given month.

Beautiful eggs btw. I need to get some dark egg layers.

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
mississippifarmboy said:
We sell our eggs for $2 a dozen also. I know a few people in the area that sell at $1.5 but at $2 I'm not even breaking even in the fall/winter. It does help pay the feed bill though and we get all our eating eggs free if we sell enough to break even in a given month.

Beautiful eggs btw. I need to get some dark egg layers.
Thank you. I love your profile picture, very neat. I've always wanted to get a couple milk goats or cows, but at this point I don't have a structure to shelter them in. I keep watching for a shed to go up for sale for cheap or for someone to tear an old building down and want to get rid of the building materials.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
You're mealworms are looking good! I just started some a week or so ago as well, and mine are doing good as well. I have noticed a few babies. I'm hoping to feed at minimum a portion of the birds through the winter off of mealworms rather than bought feed. Protein, YUM! :lol:

Mickey328

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Mealworms are going to be a project here as well, as soon as the canning's all done and the garden put to bed for the winter. I like to give my girls plenty of protein as well...I've noticed if I miss for a week or so we get smaller eggs. I give them homemade yogurt a couple times a week, any meat leftovers we have, cheese that's gone a bit hard for our taste and since we seem to have accumulated tons of pinto beans, I soak and cook them up in the crock pot for them. They're really fond of them and are a great and inexpensive source of protein.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I like to give mine beans and rice during the cold winter months too. It seems a good balance of carbs and protein and they love it.

<ErinElizabeth>

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My meal worms are in more advanced stages now. I counted at least 15 beetles. Most of them are still red in color because of the recent phase change but a couple are solid black and are hopefully laying lots of eggs. Here are some recent pictures:
5414_worms100_8636.jpg

5414_beetles100_8639.jpg