Essential Items For Surviving in the Event of Rationing-Depression

ninjapoodles

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I can't even let myself think along these lines, because the #1 thing that comes to mind when I consider these scenarios is the fact that we wouldn't be able to get the prescription medications that my husband needs every day of his life. He takes a dozen different meds daily, and NONE of them could be omitted.

This is also the single most terrifying aspect of the possible loss of employment, for me... not the loss of income, but the loss of health insurance. We'd be sunk.

It wouldn't do us any good to have all the food and water in the world, without the medicines we need. And it's not stuff you can stock up on, like aspirin, either. Much of it is heavily controlled.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I have given that some thought as well, what will people do?
I am sorry that you are in this situation, many are.
More than half the world probably has to take some kind of meds, not just the elderly either.
Children with life threatening diseases, teens, middle aged...
Things could get very ugly, very fast if some kind of pharmaceutical company or the government didn't step in.
Won't hold my breath there though.
I am not sure who would have any knowledge for something along these lines.
Hope someone does.
edited to delete an extra word.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wow, this is an interesting thread, considering what is happening in America's financial markets today. I haven't been around in a couple of weeks so I have a lot to catch up on. ;)

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I thought of something else today as I was sharpening a chainsaw. If we need to use hand tools, we might want to have a small supply of files and/ or stones to sharpen them with. Don't forget that little tool (don't know what it's called) that staggers the teeth on a hand saw. You can have a razor sharp saw but if the teeth aren't set you might as well chew through it. lol

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It's interestng I guess we need to just go through our every day lives. Sharpening chain saw etc... and start to take note of the items we use. then try to tran slate that into the "what if" catagory.
gina

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
posted by Quail_Antwerp
I know stock piling food for ourselves has been mentioned, but has anyone consdidered what you will need to have on hand to feed household pets? (not chickens or livestock, but dogs, cats, caged pets, etc.)
I bought two more bags of dog food for my German Shepherd, careful to look at expiration dates. For my chickens, I bought an extra bag of feed today as well. I made sure the date said "September" on it. I really did not need it, but I am going to store the feed in my deep freezer. Lately, I have been putting it in Ziplock bags in the freezer. I am using Dumor feed now; but when I was using Purina Mills, I asked one of the customer service people at Purina Mills about storing chicken feed in the freezer. She told me on the phone that it would increase the shelf life by a couple of months.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
Besides trying to stock up on chicken feed, you can hope they all just free range to the hilt and are good foragers.
Other than that you can grow your own sprouts and such.
I have the recipe for doing that in one of my folders.
I will try to post that tomorrow.

Hiedi

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the simple life said:
Besides trying to stock up on chicken feed, you can hope they all just free range to the hilt and are good foragers.
I have a German Shepherd that I don't trust very much around my chickens so I can't let them free range, unless I contain my dog; but I might have to resort to that. I would be very interested in your recipe and any other information that you have about feeding chickens without using commercial feed. I do have sprouting seeds that I have stored, and I also have a lot of wheat stored as well. However, I am new to the chicken scene so I am not really sure about the details when feeding chickens the sprouts. I definitely need to do more research.

the1much

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hiedi said:
the simple life said:
I have a German Shepherd that I don't trust very much around my chickens so I can't let them free range, unless I contain my dog; but I might have to resort to that. I would be very interested in your recipe and any other information that you have about feeding chickens without using commercial feed. I do have sprouting seeds that I have stored, and I also have a lot of wheat stored as well. However, I am new to the chicken scene so I am not really sure about the details when feeding chickens the sprouts. I definitely need to do more research.
when it comes to it,, i bet you end up pening up your chickens, where YOU can keep an eye on them, and your dog can protect them from the hungry people.

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I know, I thougt of that too, crazy isn't it?
Where I live you have to apply for a poultry keeping licence, so the town knows who has chickens.
Not to mention my neighbors.
I will end up keeping like 4 chickens in the coop and have the rest living in a their own bedroom in the house....:lol: