Etsy question

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I am not sure if is the right place to post this question. If it needs to go somewhere else, please let me know.

My sister is setting up an account on Etsy to sell her hand-engraved glass (jars, vases, etc). She finally has her banner (I guess she had some problems with it) done.

She is trying to figure out what type of message to include on the receipt to the customer.

All she can think of is - "thank you, I appreciate your business"

Anyone have any other ideas?

I am thinking possibly a note to recommend her work to someone that might be interested. I don't know if she would (or could) offer custom orders on Etsy. If she would go that route, then include a note stating she does special orders?

Any other ideas out there?

Thanks,

Annette

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Depends what she wants to encourage.

I had a website off-eBay, and I included a direct to my website, along with an invitation to join our forum and the kinds of articles we offered and products sold.

Due to eBay's feedback system, I also asked them to contact me if they had any problems and assured them that customer service was my highest priority.

Of course I started out by thanking them for their order. She would probably want to include a paid invoice/receipt. A coupon for return business (transferrable to a friend if she likes) or an offer of a discount for referrals can be good for repeat business.

Best of luck to her! :)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think I also add an estimated date of shipping and the location it's shipping from.
Mine is pretty short and to the point, but my target buyer is different:

Thank you for your order. You order should ship via UPS within 3 business days from our Fenton, MO warehouse.

If you have any questions, you can call my direct line at ____ or the main office at _____.

And everything you said, Shiloh, to make it a more personal response.

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i think you've got some great suggestions already. :)

i do wanna add though that the auto-email is probably lower down on the ladder as far as things she should worry about when she's just starting out :) nobody will see that message if nobody buys! on etsy, amazing photography is basically expected, but it's often the last thing new sellers focus on. if a photo is good enough for ebay, it's probably NOT good enough for etsy =/ people there want to see semi-artsy, catalog-quality photography. it's kinda insane how much emphasis on etsy there is on pictures. so tell your sis to focus on that.. especially 'cos i know glass photography can be very difficult. the photos are probably the #1 thing that will make or break you on etsy (well, aside from your products themselves!)

good luck to her :)

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
MetalSmitten said:
i think you've got some great suggestions already. :)

i do wanna add though that the auto-email is probably lower down on the ladder as far as things she should worry about when she's just starting out :) nobody will see that message if nobody buys! on etsy, amazing photography is basically expected, but it's often the last thing new sellers focus on. if a photo is good enough for ebay, it's probably NOT good enough for etsy =/ people there want to see semi-artsy, catalog-quality photography. it's kinda insane how much emphasis on etsy there is on pictures. so tell your sis to focus on that.. especially 'cos i know glass photography can be very difficult. the photos are probably the #1 thing that will make or break you on etsy (well, aside from your products themselves!)

good luck to her :)
^^^ What she said ^^^

Shiloh Acres

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Photos (along with the fact that I actually had WAY more variety in inventory) was what really drove my business on eBay, so that makes sense. :)

Btw, the stuff I listed was what went WITH the item.

I also sent a brief email to let them know the order shipped or when it would ship, estimated delivery date, and a request to contact me if any problems.

If you're talking a shipping email I wouldn't say too much. I'm not sure people read too much of it.

Good to know about photos on Etsy, in case I ever get over there. I've lost all my old photos.

Latest posts