Ever had your confidence shaken about your SS lifestyle?

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Very pretty WZ, looks like a serene place to sit and contemplate.

okiegirl1

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
(thou shalt not covet, thou shalt not covet, thou shalt not covet...)

I'M SOOOO COVETING!!!

love it!

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Oh, my that arbor looks luxurious! (wonder if I have room to put one in somewhere) How many years does it take to grow the vines to actually cover an arbor? I think they die back every winter, yes?

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
About two. Yes they die back in the winter but grapes grow GREAT GUNS each summer!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Wait a minute....the wild grapevines in my woods are as thick as my wrist at the base, and the grapes grow high up in the treetops. They don't start from the ground every year, I'm sure of it. They just lose their leaves like the trees do, and get new leaves in the spring.

Aren't cultivated grapevines the same? (Don't have any yet....coveting, too.)

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
The vines grow every year and will continue to grow and GROW. That is why those wild 'uns are in the trees! :gig

I cut my grapes back to the main vine plus just a little stub on each runner vine. It DOES get a little more technical that that, but anyway they are cut WAY WAY back. They still go completely crazy and cover the whole porch and the whole arbor every summer.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
you guys aren't kidding either. My SIL once bought a house that the grapevine had been so overgrown that it covered the fence (only thing holding it up) and nearly choked out a full sized apple tree. Her backyard looked like one big grapevine. It took them months to get it all cut back enough to find the fence & tree.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Wow WZ, I love the arbor!
We can't even walk under ours anymore because it is so loaded and entwined with vines.

Come summer along the woods near the edge of our field the wild grapes make a gigantic wall of green, there are even vines hanging down that you can swing from.
Love those vines.