Exciting day

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yesterday started off with a bang.

Got up put out the pinch collar on my wife's baby bear to take him out to go pee. I went to open the front door to find my hunting dog leaning against the screen door not wanting me to come out. I said move Baxter and holy Jesus just off to the right there is a coiled up cotton mouth.

I pulled baby bear back onto the porch because of course you know a 125 Rottweiler just had to see what the snake was all about. As I was pulled him back the cottonmouth struck but missed baby bear thankfully.

I put baby bear back in the house, grabbed my pistol and went out the back door around front. I couldn't find the cotton mouth, but Baxter lead me to it. I shot the snake 4 times but it still slithered under the front porch stoop. It only got about 2/3 of the way under the stoop.

I pulled it's tail and about 1/2 out it came out in my hand. I ripped it in 1/2 by pulling on it. I went and got my wife and my battery powered drill. I took a couple of boards off the stoop and there it was tight up against the cement foundation.

I went and grabbed a shovel and a length of electric fence wire. After trying a couple of different shapes in the end of the wire I was able to hook it and get it's head out. My wife took the shovel and chopped it's head off.

Phew... What a way to start a day and getting the heart pumping. My hunting dog is pretty smart, guarding it like that.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Baxter is BRILLIANT !! Gotta love a dog with good sense. :love

Yep, love that boy. Forgot to add while poking at it with the wire, it struck several times even though half of it was ripped off. My wife said look how white the inside of it's mouth is. I guess that's why it's called a cottonmouth. Nasty snake is all I can say. Last year it was a copper head, this year a cottonmouth. Thankfully about one viper a year is all I see. Lots of other non poison ones and I'm ok with those. It's the triangle headed ones I don't like one little bit.

Last edited:

TexasLisa

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You certainly know how to start a day off with a bang!! I am glad everyone is okay.