Expanded the flock... the wrong way but too late now...

sleuth

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We brought home two new pullets purchased off Craigslist. And learned after the fact that we did everything the wrong way in introducing them, except maybe one thing. We put them in coop at dusk after the others had settled down.

We didn't quarantine. Discovered after the fact we should have.
We also didn't keep them in separate cages for awhile because we didn't have separate cages.
We only had 2 pullets to begin with and so we figured the 2 newcomers would be on equal footing. We also figured that our current alpha pullet would remain in charge, given that she had the territorial advantage. Not so much.

The two new pullets, both Rhode Island Reds (RIRs), have been beating up on our Easter Egger (EE), and our original alpha pullet, a New Hampshire (NH), has been protecting the EE all day. The alpha NH is at a disadvantage because the EE won't fend for herself. So far no blood, and no patches of feathers missing, so we're just watching.

I haven't read any posts on BYC or here where the newcomer chickens were actually bullying the home favorites. But I have read several where the EEs were at the bottom of the order.

How long will this process last? I'm supposed to get a Gold Lace Wyandotte from the same guy I got the new RIRs from later this week. Not sure if I should do anything different, since she's from the same flock as the RIRs.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I would get the Wyandotte, they are good layers and are eye candy too! I don't have RIR's, but I have some RIR crosses and they are loud and bossy. I haven't had the new hens beat up the old hens. I currently have 3 social groups in the coop, but my old hen Robin still rules!

heatherlynnky

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Even with quarantine and having cages for everyone to get familiar at first, there is still usually some fighting. With hens its normally harmless. With roosters the fighting can be fatal if you are not watchful. I did not know that when I started and I had to doctor up 2 torn up roos. I was lucky to not lose them both. If there does end up a little bloody spot make sure you cover it. I put on some blucote. It keeps them from pecking at it.

citylife

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The Wyandotte is going to have 4 against one, would be my guess. That may not go well.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If the Wyandotte is full or nearly full grown, she will probably be head hen after a while. Sorry for your little EE. Glad she has the NH to help her out. When I expanded my flock the first time I had one PR that was guarded by 2 Australorps. :lol: It will take a bit but they will work it out. It may help if you have 2 feeding areas and set them closer and closer every few days untill you have one again. Make sure they have lots of space and place to hide if need be.
Good Luck!

sleuth

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Update: The Wyandotte fell thru as the guy sold it out from under me. :somad He said he would hold it for me since he wasn't able to catch it the day I arrived to pick up the RIRs. Then someone offered him cash the next day, he gave me a call while they were there and since I didn't pick up, he sold it. I'm more than a little annoyed.

Anyway, the ladies seemed to have worked it out. There was a lot of fighting and chasing for the first couple days, but lately, I haven't seen much of it. I am not sure who the head hen is at this point as it's not clear. They definitely keep to their respective social pairs and otherwise don't seem too interested in each other.

Interestingly enough, the original two (NH & EE) still sleep on the floor of the coop in one corner. The RIRs roost on the 3rd level up and glare down at the NH & EE until they fall asleep.

Now I'm on egg watch. The NH & EE just turned 6 months. The guy told me the RIRs were about 5-6 months old so they should be laying any day as well. I'm getting impatient! :barnie

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Just a FYI-squeezing them to try and get them to pop out an egg doesn't work. :hide

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
LOL..... That's kind of a joke around here! If someone needs eggs and I'm a couple short I'll just tell them "Time to go squeeze the chickens"!