explain property lines please

elijahboy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
pink-----im going to have the realtor bring a copy of the property lines and who owns the surrounding properties

love love the house but dont want to have 10 families driving by the house in a year. the house is fairly close to the driveway/dirt road

if a whole bunch of people own pieces i dont mind too much but i dont want to buy 1 acre that is surrounded by 100 acres owned by the same person/family. i dont like to be an outcast.

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH and I once bought a house that had a vague comment at the end of the description about the city retaining rights to underground utilities and easements, ETC. The ETC is what got us. The city put a connector street next to our house. The house sat on 3/4 acre, but by the time they were done, there was barely room for a sidewalk beside the front porch, and no room for front steps! Legal descriptions should be studied carefully and you should ask a lawyer about anything that doesn't sound right to you.

As for what to offer, who can say? In our dealings with Fannie Mae, they were not very willing to come down on price. On one house, we offered less, because they dropped the price the morning we made the offer. They countered full price - full price being the price BEFORE they lowered it. They wouldn't budge and we said forget it. On our present home, it was through HUD. We bid horribly low - 1/10 of their original listing price - cash offer. They took it. Sometimes it just depends on their mood that day, the color shirt they are wearing, or which direction the wind is blowing :p

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
If a recent survey has not been done(in the least a boundary survey) you should do one. The satellite photos are usually off.You don't want to find out your house,driveway,barn is on the neighbors land or theirs on yours. That is a mess.

I say offer low! I wanted to get a house listed at 55k.We were debating offering 40k,but concerened it was an insult.Well shoot if the lady did not sell the house for 25k to someone.Go in low and work up if you feel the need,but never go over your set limit.

A survey is a must. We did one after we bought our home and it showed a 3 foot shift to the left from what everyone said was the lines.If we had known I don't think we would have bought this place.You don't want to deal with a land locked property where you have to go through neighbors to get to your home or they do the same to you.